on 1 September 2013
Although this seems to be aimed at secondary-school teachers, both NQTs and more experienced teachers would find this book useful. Barton gives an overview of current thinking about Literacy, with suggestions for Literacy co-ordinators and teachers of subjects other than English. The book is clearly organised so you can dip in to your particular area of interest, and Barton covers speaking and listening, reading and writing. He also broadens his remit to cover behaviour management in the classroom, which less-experienced teachers might find invaluable. I found his suggestions for encouraging active reading and helping pupils revise particularly useful.
on 5 May 2013
A common sense guide to excellent standards of literacy through good teaching. Full of practical and, accessible ways to get all staff involved in being teachers of literacy.
on 15 May 2014
I liked Geoff's book so much I was inspired to write my own. A really excellent summary and a trove of practical ideas. Recommended.
on 2 November 2014
This is a highly readable and practical book on literacy for teachers at every stage of their career. The style is concise and practical and it wears its deep expertise with ease and polish.
on 21 January 2013
This is a great read: accessible, doesn't 'waste your time', great for trainees, NQTs and 'old hands' alike. Thanks Geoff for this great book packed with ideas - and the title says it all!
on 22 July 2013
I brought this book in advance of a conference where I saw Geoff speak. This is a great read and I for one will be making the implicit explicit in my teaching.
on 17 April 2016
Excellent both my students an I like this book and found a lot of helpful pointers.
on 4 November 2013
i love this book, i feel i can use this in my lesson, i would have liked a book on how to use punctuation marks, commers and full stops in my feed back and so i can help my learners.