Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Exclusive playlist - Elton John Pre-order now Shop Women's Shop Men's

on 30 December 2013
I'm a DIYer and have worked to IEEE 16th Edition regs in the past using the Onsite Guide. I'm about to embark on a house rewire with Part P building-regs notification so I need to ensure my work is spot on for sign-off. Rather than get the 17th regs, I thought it'd be nice to catch-up with version 17 with a bit of narrative to describe the more complicated sections.

This book was so bad that I requested a refund. The main points are:

* Typos, missing diagrams and formatting issues (could be Kindle version related)
* Unexplained symbols and poor diagrams
* Varying level of detail and assumed knowledge. Some sections are really basic while some are unnecessarily complicated. One section starts by describing what a Test Lamp is not but not what it is.
* Unexplained points: "Where fluorescent or other discharge lighting is involved, a factor of 1.8 is used to take into consideration the associated control gear" but has no explanation where 1.8 comes from.
* Absolutely wacky descriptions: Re: Insulation Resistance: "Insulation resistance, as discussed, is the resistance measured between conductors and is made up of countless millions of resistances in parallel"
* References to IET regs tables that haven't been replicated in the book
on 31 May 2013
I am a very competent Diy'er who is in the process of putting a new kitchen in and I wanted to add some sockets, move the cooker cable and redo all the lighting etc.

Whilst I always intended getting a qualified Electrician in to check my work, I wanted to do of much of it as I can, what's the point of paying someone else to channel out walls and run cables etc.

This book is perfect and I'm delighted with it.
on 11 August 2012
Purchased this to bring myself up to date with current wiring regulations without having to wade through mountains of irrelevant detail. Brian Scannlon does an excellent job of sorting out the wood from the trees, well worth the money.
on 24 May 2013
bought this for a friend who was about to rewire his house ,very pleased with it and he has got a lot of knowledge from it
on 2 January 2013
Granted, a lot of this book is common-sense advice but it is vital advice. I find this book to be an essential reference for any electrical work I undertake.
on 21 April 2013
A good book plenty of information I would have liked it to be a bit more readable I dont like all the abbreviation they use all the time
on 19 January 2013
I bought this to make sure I had all of the details for a house re-wire correct. It covers everything that I needed. It covers cable types, cable runs, consumer unit, earthing etc. and is fairly easy to read and follow. Occasionally I used the book to give me most of the information I required and a guide to google the rest.
on 20 May 2014
Not enough technical detail, too much time spent on basics, go for the onsite guide, more expensive but worth it
on 7 May 2013
Although not an electrician I bought this as a guide to my DIY jobs

It is concise and allows me to plan well and get the required professionals as needed. Saving a bit of cash but I have added to my knowledge

Yeah, for me it is an excellent reference guide and I have expand my knowledge.
on 14 February 2013
Clear and Concise, The diagrams a very easy to follow and the regulations are well presented without waffle. There are probably other books out there with more information, but this cover all that you will realistically require