Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 20 May 2013
Like another reviewer, my partner is Slovak and I am learning as much as possible, as fast as possible so that I can talk to her family on an impending visit.

Colloquial Slovak is a superb introduction. Previous materials which I had tried to use gave a very one dimensional experience of the language, to the extent where I was under very misleading impressions of what words to use when!

Colloquial Slovak is more practically written, it builds the language around you as you study, starting with pronunciation of the characters, moving on to how to form words depending on subject and context, and then up and on from there. It contains pretty much everything that you could probably need to get by.

Only a couple of minor weaknesses;
- Some of the later sample conversations lack English translations, which is useful to understand how words change in context
- It does not have a very helpful reference section in the back

But these are minor drawbacks.

On the whole a great book, pair it with an English - Slovak dictionary and you're set!
on 23 November 2015
Very good, easy to understand. Would definitely recommend if you want to learn Slovak!
on 29 December 2012
WARNING: Do not buy this product from Amazon. This book requires an accompanying CD otherwise getting your head around the pronunciation is impossible; but it is not made clear that the CD is not included with the book. The CD is sold separately for the same price, so you will end up out of pocket by £50. This product is sold elsewhere with both components at a significantly cheaper price.

Very disappointed. The product posting is very deceptive.
on 17 December 2015
I found this book to be much better after I'd had some professional lessons with a native speaking teacher on a language website, before that my pronunciation etc was awful but now I can understand the book a lot more clearly. There are not that many resource books for English speakers trying to learn Slovak but this is one of the best.

In my opinion the best is Slovak for You: Slovak for Speakers of English - Textbook for Beginners and Intermediate Students but that is heavier going compared to Naughton's. Combine the two and you have a good resource for learning Slovak, I'd also add Slovak Language: 101 Slovak Verbs to the collection.
on 4 May 2013
Very clear and well presented. Easy to follow. As complete beginners we are finding it an excellent introduction to the language.
on 18 June 2014
I was very disappointed to find the book contains no CDs. I contacted Amazon about this and they sent me a second book, again with no CDs. On the front cover of the advert it says in the top right hand corner 'CDs inside'. However on the books I received it states 'CDs and MP3s available'.
on 7 April 2014
As every Slovak will tell you , although mutually intelligible, Czech and Slovak are two very different languages. I wanted
to distinguish the two and this book helps to do that.
on 3 January 2012
easy to follow and well explained. lots of exercises to practise and useful vocabulary. would recomend to buy the cd as well so you can learn the pronunciation more easily.
on 25 December 2014
In my opinion this is aimed at slovak speakers which makes extra work for english speakers to use. But with the effort it can help.
on 28 March 2015
Just the right blend of challenge without being either simplistic or impossible!!