Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now

on 2 January 2010
If like me you are a practicing engineer looking to get up to speed with the new structural eurocodes then this book is a good place to start. The book covers the 4 main materials with clear descriptions of the design process for each set of codes and gives very useful examples which are essential to understanding the requirements of the Eurocodes which come into force in 2010.

If you are an undergraduate this book should be an essential reference and if you get to grips with it fully you will make yourself highly employable as a graduate engineer. Several Universities recommend it but you may also wish to check out books by R Hulse.

My only niggles are that some of the design examples are academic and the cross referencing is to other parts of the book rather than the eurocodes themselves. You will still need to cross refer to the Eurocodes to get a full understanding of the design 'principals' and 'application rules'.

Overall I am pleased with the book and the positive results of many hours studying. I don't think you will be dissapointed.
on 19 December 2010
I have always been pleased with this book since I came across it in our office in Zambia. Now that I got my own copy I can't believe how much I have learned since I started reading it from cover to cover. Yeah the pages are poorly bound but I think that's not much of a problem.
on 11 June 2009
I find this a very good book, very well written with some good worked examples. This version also takes into consideration the Eurocodes so I would recommend this to both professionals and students alike.
on 8 June 2015
If you do structural design, you've got to have this on your bookshelf. Unfortunately it focuses too much on the old British Btandards and only gives about 50% to Eurocodes which seems to be a bit old-hat nowadays. It would be nice to see further editions throttle-back on BS and introduce sections on EC0 and EC1 instead.
on 27 May 2010
Its a good book but with few drawback, firstly the binding of book is not strong enough, on the 1stweek of usage the pages start to fall off. Then there should be answers for the listed questions,this will help the reader to re-check their exercise and then I have a doubt about the table references for BS5950....conclusion= this book can be a second choice!!
on 18 August 2015
This is an excellent resource for the student or practicing engiener. I brought a copy whilst at university many years ago and it was by far the most useful book on the shelf. Its strengths are that it is very well laid out, examples are numerous and logical and key concepts are explained in enough detail to provide the reader with an understanding. I personally think that it is the most accessible structural engineering book and probably the best overview of basic design of the four primary materials. As another reader pointed out, there is way too much emphasis on the BS which are effectively becoming redundant. The quality of this book is five stars, however, I am giving it four as it needs much more emphasis on EC. Dr. Arya, thank you for this excellent resource. If you are to update this, I would imagine full focus on EC and an even more extensive set of examples taking into covering some of the more typical structures we tend to get involved with i.e. shear walls, paving, irregular slabs, T-beams, concrete beam-column connections etc. However, on the whole this is still excellent and worth purchasing as its strengths far outweight its weaknesses
on 1 September 2014
Had this for several weeks now and along with Fiona Cobb's Structural Engineer pocket Book it's brilliant. Has both British Standards and Eurocodes, worked examples for both, and explains the newer, more confusing Eurocodes well.

Found a 1st edition copy of this book in the office from 1994 so Chanakya has been doing this a while too. Worked examples are numerous and set out logically.
on 19 January 2013
Since I only entered the engineering profession 20+ years after graduating, I am having to re-learn everything. This book has proved a valuable guide as I navigate the current codes of practice. It would certainly be useful to a new graduate, but I have seen experienced engineers who keep a copy handy too.
on 18 August 2013
Very good book. A friend recommended it to me and I am finding it very useful. If you are a student and doing civil engineering or you are working in the industry you will need this book a lot. It is absolutely worth buying.
on 5 March 2013
I wanted a book with easy to follow examples and that is what I found. It is great because it has not only the Eurocode part but also a British Standard one. It is great for students and young graduates but it might be also helpful for senior starting to use Eurocodes.