on 31 May 2009
Mindfulness is becoming increasingly important to psychiatry.
In this book Rebecca Crane lays out techniques at the forefront of a therapy that will be of interest to all mental health professionals but also anyone interested in non-drug dependent treatment for depression.
Rather than getting lost in either science or spirituality, the author treads a very careful path and in doing so she makes the approach she describes absolutely comprehensible and plain.
The writing is beautifully simple, it's a pleasure to read, and - unlike so many other books - it does not become vague when faced with describing exactly what mindfulness is and how it can be applied in practical situations.
This is an essential introduction to the clinical use of mindfulness so it is completely appropriate for practitioners, but it is a text so straight-forward and user-friendly that anybody with an interest in either mindfulness or mental health would greatly benefit from reading it as well.
on 17 February 2010
Being a Mindfulness practitioner as well as a CBT therapist I wondered many times how to combine the two. Rebecca's book is clearly writen and answered numerous questions I had. Her reputation as Mindfulness practioner sold the book to me and I am pleased to say that she was able to stay true to the principles of mindfulness which is very important for me.
on 3 May 2010
If you are a therapist or nurse interested in mindfulness-based approaches this will give you a clear and concise overview of the elements involved in a CBT related mindfulness intervention namely MBCT. I recomend it to any therapist wanting a quick read and introduction to the concept of mindfulness applied as intervention.
on 10 July 2012
i've only done mindfulness from the 'user side' and because of other therapy haven't had time to go into it any deeper.
Mindfulness works for me and until i got more time to study it a little more that i had to be content with that.
what a revelation this book is, everything laid out in detail AND much to my relief, in plain english rather than academic speak
the book is set out in bite size paragraphs, just enough to read and take in.
it's been very informative learning what goes on 'behind' the classes and learning why we did what we did in the sessions and
the reasons why i'd spent half of my life like i had.
it answers all the questions that i was just about to start asking.
I thought that as i'd done mindfulness that only the first half of the book would be new to me, but reading about how the sessions are put together and why was fascinating.
essential reading.
on 31 May 2011
After recieving a journal on discovering Mindfulness I thought it would be good to get some reading done on the subject so to learn about this new approach to therapy with clients and further my understanding of the approach.

I have only read about a quarter of the book so far on my Kindle and it is clear concise and easy to read. It makes a change from the usual language in the majority of academic texts that I have been studying and reading in the past few months to help with my Counselling/Therapy training.

Looking at the summary of MBCT it states that it is becoming and increasingly used therapeutic approach in CBT and Therapy and has had a dramatic effect on depressive relapses with clients. It looks at new ways that can work in addition as well as with CBT to create a way to help clients deal with depression, after the therapy is over and see's it in a breifer way.

It is definitely a book for those interested in learning about the approach for people who are qualified or who like me are in training as well. I have read quite a few different books this year and this is a definite welcome addition to my knowledge and theoretical personal development in the field of therapy and therapeutic skills.
Mindfulness is not something new! It has been around for Thousands of years and yet modern day western day society has never embraced it FULLY. Mindfulness is a way out of the mind made turmoil and suffering that we as Human beings go through each day.

This book captures modern day phrases and metaphors "that stick" to combine Eastern wisdom with the modern day frantic world in which we live to good effect. It is a book for both the practitioner and the student. Easily understandable ~ Yet powerful and profound!

Strongly recommended!

I enjoyed it immensely!

STEVE HAINES COUNSELLOR MINDFULNESS COACH AND EFT PRACTITIONER
on 22 April 2010
An easy read - author gives practical tips and examples of therapy in practice using a step by step approach. For serious readers I would have in hindsight go for the Williams et al publication although this is more expensive.
on 9 June 2010
This is a readable and practical book which gives a good concise insight into the subject. Suitable for all levels.
on 14 April 2014
This book is probably the best secular and scientific study and course outline on Mindfulness Based Cognitive Therapy available. I would suggest combining it with Thich Naht Hahns 'The Miracle of Mindfulness' to gain a deeper and even more compassionate insight and inflection on your practice or teaching.
on 5 June 2014
I love all concerned with mindfulness, it is informative and empowering and everyone should at least once in their lives use it for guidance and peace