on 13 October 2003
I took a 5 week intensive course in Buenos Aires. I tried to read this book before my trip, but only managed a few chapters. On my return, I wanted to revise what I had learned and this book proved to be very useful.
The book contains dialogues, exercises, language points and readings. Language points explained pertinent grammar and idiosyncracies, with numerous examples. I liked the readings (short comprehensions), which generally occured at the end of the chapter. They do help you feel like you could read a real article/advert. The end of the book contains a grammar section and some vocab.
My only gripe (thus only 4 stars) is the omission of el voseo. Vos is used instead of tu in a number of places in Latin America. The conjugation could easily have been added as it doesn't effect all tenses.
If you can't get to Latin America to learn, then I'd recommend this as a good alternative.
on 27 June 2005
I have argentinian roots, speak the language and often I am asked to recommend a language course for visitors to the country. A course for Latin America like this one is better than nothing but it treats all countries as a whole and irons out the differences. It would be better to have say a course for Argentina only, with the language inserted in the culture. The course would also have the argentinian expressions and colloquialisms. Only this way you can step into the country equipped with its language and cultural context. Could we please have a language course for Argentina, not just a generic Latin American course, without ironing out national identity.
on 3 March 2016
Lots of conversations about a lot of topics including business. Helps tune your ear to the language. Not at beginner level.
on 15 June 2015
good value product
on 30 March 2013
OK. But I had expected, that these lessons would add significant knowledge about Latin American culture and serve as a good supplement to Colloquial Spanish. In this sense it could be better, I think.