Customer reviews

on 2 January 2008
I am not an engineer nor a mathematician and so taking an MSc in Environmental Engineering may have been foolish given the strong needs for maths. One module, Fluid Mechanics, on the MSc has left me lost until I came across this book in its first edition. On learning that there was a second edition I bought it and have been reading it eagerly because I have an exam coming up.

This is an excellent primer which covers all the areas I need in a clear, concise and logical manner. Concepts which were lost on me have now come to life having read Mr. Kay's text.

I would happily recommend this book to anyone needing to revise fluid mechanics or, like me, has no mathematics or engineering background and is called upon to learn the subject.
on 13 May 2009
This book is good for people trying to understand hydraulics and how to do the maths. There are many examples to help find the answers, but as in many hydraulics books some of the examples are irelevant. The answer to calculate the discharge for a sluice gate Chapter 5.4.3. is wrong, which I beleive is a misprint. It's the only one I found and doesn't spoil a well worked book. Some of the maths though could be explained a little better.