Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 17 February 2009
Trask's writing is brilliant. The author has an outstanding ability to explain his subject in an entertaining way. Trask is the unpretentious master of his subject and writes crystal clear English.

Although interested in the subject, I'm not a language student, but I thoroughly enjoyed this book (I've read it twice). The chapter on 'Attitudes to language' made me laugh and cheer, as Trask explodes a number of widely held myths. 'The uniqueness of human language' and 'Change in language' are other excellent chapters. It's a brilliant book and it's not just for specialists.
on 7 November 2010
The author reveals some fascinating facts about language, such as how and why the written and spoken versions diverge over time. I like his style of writing and the book provides a good introduction to linguistics for the general reader. I recommend it to anyone with an interest in linguistics, which should be everyone since we all use language.
on 28 January 2002
I am an Undergraduate Linguistics student at Durham and I found this book a very useful read over the summer before I started my course, I also wish I had read it during my A levels as it explores the fundimentals of analytical linguistics assisting the reader in particular with stylistic analysis and providing a through grounding in the basics of degree level work - read it, reduce it, learn it it is a massive help.
on 7 April 2009
This is a fascinating and engaging over-view of the study of language. While academically sound, with masses of suggestions for further reading, it is also a very accessible read - not at all intimidating for a complete beginner in language studies. Highly recommended.
on 2 April 2014
Trask sets out the basic premises and concepts which underpin the subject of linguistics with rare lucidity. The book is engaging and accessible whilst avoiding simplistic platitudes.
Highly recommended.
on 24 October 2013
Really interesting book.
I've never studied language or linguistics and it was clear and easy to understand.
The book is also very engaging due to the way it's been written.
on 28 July 2013
This book is written in a very easy to read interesting way with plenty of relevant and useful information given.
on 26 May 2008
As a A-level student, I found this book entertaining and informative. It condensed chuncks of my course into meaningful points. Unlike other text books, I intend to keep this book on the shelf after my studies are completed.
on 16 January 2017
A magnificent book that covers a lot of the different fundamental concepts relating to language, provided in easy-to-understand terms, with a great deal of humour and open-mindedness involved.
on 25 August 2014
Really clear and easy to follow. A great introduction to the study of language.