Customer reviews

VINE VOICEon 4 July 2008
E-moderating is about getting students to participate in e-learning.

Salmon describes her five stage framework. This is an important device for helping students to familiarise themselves with virtual learning environments. It is essential to break down barriers to enable students to engage with online learning and to maximise the chances that they will be active participants rather than learners.

The only downside to the book is that Salmon can seem rather arrogant. She thinks that all students are going to be like those she has encountered in her past experience. The problem I have is that school children live their lives in messenger software and though social networking and so it will be rare to find new students who are not at least at stage 3 when they start. For me it is very dangerous to assume that the students you are going to teach now are going to behave like those you have taught before.
on 12 August 2004
This is the best guide to online teaching that I have read. As someone with little experience in teaching online, I found that it clarified a lot of misapprehensions I had about the techniques involved, and was written in a refreshingly direct style (I've lost count of the number of 'introductory' books I've struggled with which blind you with science and technobabble).
There's also plenty of substantial material on effective pedagogy, and it offers much more than superficial 'teaching tips' that seem so popular these days.
on 1 May 2011
Introduced to this as a Masters student on the Open University course in Open and Distance Education and initially struggled. A year later my own experience of tutors, forums and video conferencing, let alone having assignments submitted and marked, I find the book indispensible. However, I find the term 'e-modertor' derogatory and unhelpful. These experienced academics and educators like to be called 'tutors' at best, 'assistant lecturers' at least- many have doctorates. It is a skilled, time consuming job that a decade ago some may have thought could be done by 'bots'. I now sit in the Faculty of Business and Law where Gilly Salmon worked; I'm certain her legacy lives on. 'e-tivities' is even more crucial - to ignore her perspective is foolish.