on 10 May 2014
I would recommend you buy this book BEFORE you go to university and not when you are half way through like I did. I didn't know this book existed and I could have done with all the advice that this book has to offer before I started. However, it is very useful now. I am on my 3rd year and Im sure that it has helped my grades and will help in the future.
on 26 February 2018
Great book, really useful advice.
on 4 July 2014
This is a must for any student embarking on degree level study. However it is the type of book you would benefit more by purchasing and reading before the course begins to get the results
on 19 December 2014
Great read...but the proof of the pudding will definitely be in the eating. It does feel like this chocolate fondant of a book will produce the intended gooey centre...or at least closer to a gooey centre than I may have reached without it.
on 23 September 2015
Very useful bought it cause I'm a law student who wants the best and already its proving very useful
on 3 September 2010
I bought this book because I felt I needed some help achieving better results. I'm a mature student who has come back to University and, as my first degrees are from the USA, I felt I required an additional understanding what markers in this country want from students.
This book helped - it contains practical ideas for improving your grades and is broken down into useful chapters (I didn't read the whole thing cover to cover, but instead used it as a reference for revision and etc.). A lot of it is fairly common sense, but it does help get you into the mindset of the people who make the decisions about your marks. I would recommend this book for most students, but especially those in desciplines where a great deal of writing is required (History and Law spring to mind).
on 24 September 2015
This is a very quick and easy to read book (just two three hours (with breaks)). I thought of myself as quite a competent student but there were a few gaps...like, how do I organise my study? How much time should I be spending on each part of my study program? I've been hitting the high 2:1 grades but apart from once in my first year (I am now in my 2nd year), I have not yet managed to creep over that line into the First Class category. I knew I was missing something but I didn't know what. Having read this book I now feel I do know what it was I was lacking and feel confident that I should be able to tweak my essays and confidently get those higher marks. Only time will tell. I have twelve assignments over the next year and two exams. I shall update this review once I have my final year two grades to let you know whether this book has worked.
This is one of the better books out there, and contains a lot of very useful advice. The great thing about it is that it's written by someone who has "been there and done that".

My only criticism is that it can be a bit "dry" and a bit "serious" at times. The content is very good though.
on 22 September 2014
Interesting read. I am a science student and although this book is not aimed at science students in particular, it does provide general advice that is useful
on 19 October 2011
I know without this amazing book I would have never have got a first. I was always geting 2:1's until I read this book and carefully followed its advise, and from then on I always got firsts! Thank you Thomas Dixon!