Customer reviews

on 28 April 2012
I bought this book as part of efforts to get a general insight into the shipping industry and have found it to be the best of several I have read. In particular I would suggest people prioritise it over Branch's 'Elements of Shipping', which although packed with masses of detail is dreadfully edited and annoyingly repetitious. 'Martime Economics', by contrast, is written in a flowing and reasonably comprehensible style, is much better laid out and covers many of the same areas while providing much more business detail.
I have been reading it with a cherry-picking style, which the book is well suited to, as it is superbly organised with chapter summaries and section headings which make it easy to find what you want to read. Given the hefty size of the book this is no less than one would expect! The book unfolds into greater detail in the latter sections, so readers in a hurry can concentrate on early chapters to get much of the entire content. The large number of graphs and maps is pleasing and all come with painstaking explanations which I have found invaluable as I have not really studied economics.
All in all this is an excellent book which I highly recommend!
3 people found this helpful
on 28 June 2012
A great book with in depth information on the Economics of the shipping industry.

Its very easy to read and comprehend for the non economist. The language used is simple and straight forward -without the usual academic nonsense.

The only problem with the Kindle edition is that tables and maps are easy to read, as sometimes they don't fit in one screen and the maps are sometimes blured.

Otherwise a very valuable book for the shipping entrepreneur or the shipping professional.
3 people found this helpful
on 25 October 2014
The best book on the shipping industry I have ever come across. It delivers perfectly useable freight market and fleet management models in a crystal clear writing style that does not compromise complexity.
on 3 May 2013
Excellent .....a must have for anyone in the shipping industry. This is THE Book to have if you are new to the Maritime Industry. It is a detailed book which tackles every aspect of maritime economics.
One person found this helpful
on 24 September 2012
This is the book I was looking for.

Smart without being overly academic, broad but with an eye for detail, the history covered in the book alone makes it worth a purchase.

Most shipping books bog down in arcanum that in any case becomes quickly dated. By giving a comprehensive background to the industry the insights in this book will be timeless.
on 21 December 2015
This book thoroughly helped me pass my shipping economics exam/essays.
on 9 February 2015
Great book
on 26 November 2015
the best book for shipping industry
on 19 February 2013
My bible during my master's degree and it was so easy to read it. The best book ever about maritime industry
One person found this helpful
on 6 September 2011
This book can easily be deemed a 'bible' for anyone studying Maritime Economics and principles of this. Martin Stopford is a mine of information and the skill of the book is that it really is more of a reference manual so vast is th area he covers. I used this book during my studies for Institute of Chartered Shipbrokers exams and specifically Economics of Sea Transport exam which I passed in 2011 and this book definitely helped! This is now in its 3rd edition and I hope that Dr Stopford can produce a 4th edition to update many of the major economic events that have engulfed the maritime industry over the last 4-5 years notably updates of data. This is not to say the book is out of date, that is its beauty as the principles of research into this fascinating subject and fundamentals are fixed. An excellent read and by my desk at all times for reference.