Customer reviews

Early Dynastic Egypt
Format: Paperback|Change

on 28 December 2015
Toby Wilkinson never fails to deliver. An excellent book, well researched on a difficult but hugely important period in ancient Egypt's long history.
One person found this helpful
on 12 July 2017
brilliant
on 6 March 2007
I have been to Egypt, the first time was in 1993, and I made my mind up that I'd like to study Egyptology.

Although in my second year of studying Egyptology, during my first year this was one of my study books. It's an excellent book for discovering about Ancient Egypt before the Unification of Upper and Lower Egypt.

It's a very in-depth read and you'll learn a lot about Egypt's beginning, it can be a little slow and sometimes you may have to read a chapter more then once for the knowledge to sink in,( I know I did), but it's well worth the money.

It makes an excellent edition to my little Egyptian library, which now stands at nearly 1000 books on this subject. :-)
14 people found this helpful
on 20 January 2014
If you are serious about studying Ancient Egypt then you really do need this book as the title states it deals with the little known early dynasties.
One person found this helpful
on 25 April 2016
rubbish
on 22 August 2000
This book replaces W.B. Emery's Archaic Egypt as the standard English-language introduction to the early dynastic period. It is a fine synthesis of the last century of work in the field and in specialist journals, including the many recent discoveries (e.g., cemetary U at Umm-el-Qaab, the many delta sites) as well as the most important discussions (e.g., Seidlmayer, Renee Friedman). Especially strong in dealing with the "new" archeology, the most important original contribution of this work is its analysis of royal administration in the 1st through 3rd dynasties. If this study does have a weakness, it is in its catalog-like treatment of religion; but even on this topic the major references are given for the interested reader to consult.
34 people found this helpful
on 10 December 2013
This was a Christmas present for my brother last year and he likes it but says it's for 'dipping into' rather than reading all at once