on 25 November 2017
The book itself is fantastic though my copy arrived with a binding that broke within days.
on 26 January 2013
Got this book as a chrismas present for my wife who is a sign interpreter. Still to read it all.
on 13 January 2014
I bought this book as I intend to sit a translation exam, my intention was home study, but I believe the book may also be on the reading list for uni courses. It teaches translation theory which can be applied to all language combinations.

The author, Mona Baker, is a Professor of Translation Studies at the University of Manchester.

The book as 8 chapters which shows the topics covered:
5. Textual equivalence : thematic and information structures
6. Textual equivalence: cohesion
7. Pragmatic equivalence
8. Beyond equivalence: ethics and morality

I have never studied translation at Uni and wanted to prepare myself to sit the Diploma in Translation. I found the structure very good as it starts off with basic theories and goes on to more complicated issues. I was easily able to get myself into the basics. I especially liked the way examples are shown to explain certain theories, and even though my language combination is English-German, the examples from other language combinations are easily understood.

In short, the book helped me to understand the basics of translation theory. From about chapter 5, it started to get difficult for me to understand without the help of a tutor, but if you set your mind to it and got peace and quiet at home for it, it can certainly be done. I also found the exercises at the back of every chapter rather hard and would have definitely benefited from a tutor group. I attempted them but quickly gave up.

Again to emphasise that I bought the book as a home study and reviewed it as such. It helped with the basics, but in later chapters I had to admit defeat - it will be perfect for a Uni student or if you have previously studied translation theory in other settings. I would also have to say that I have a Uni degree in a different subject, I don't think I would attempt the book if you have no knowledge of reading academic texts.
on 23 September 2001
This textbook is based on the insights from current research in lexical studies, text linguistics and pragmatics to maintain a constant link between language, translation and the social and cultural environment. Easy to follow, despite the firm grounding in linguist theory, is starts at a simple level and grows in complexity, widening the focus. The author relates the theoretical concepts to authentic examples of translated texts in a variety of languages, which are all simple to understand. Each chapter concludes with practical exercises; a combination that provides a sound all round knowledge.
0Comment| 39 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 17 June 2009
Gives a very good and comprehensive overview of all aspects of translation, from the single word-level to syntax and whole sentence structures, showcasing potential problems and giving possible solutions.
With it's universal approach and by using examples in many different languages it is relevant to most translators, but herein also lie its limitations, as some aspects that might be important to your specific languages are only cursorily touched upon, while large chunks of the book are completely irrelevant or might even confuse ("Do I have to be careful with the passive voice - or was that for the French?").
The exercises at the end of each chapter are very good, but limited again to translation into English and lacking in tips/recommendations for possible answers.
It also is not the easiest read with its dense layout and sometimes very academic and abstract writing.
I think it functions well as a basic coursebook on the main principles of translation, but one should proceed with caution and back it up with further textbooks on the topic.
on 23 October 2011
This is a classic manual for students of translation theory before they begin to delve into theoretical frameworks. We use it in conjunction with other books to introduce MA students to concepts of linguistics.
on 24 January 2011
As a university student, I use Baker's textbook extensively, always referring to her with my choices and solutions. She provides a very clearly cut description of possible problems and proposes ways of dealing with them.

What is really helpful is the clear structure and strong organisation throughout the text, especially in first chapters dealing with word and above word level problems. However, anyone reaching out to use it should remember that it's a theoretical treaty on translation- it provides sample procedures, not ready-made solutions. Not every single problem is going to fit in Baker's categories and not every single problem will be dealt with the way she suggests.

It is this kind of book that you read once from cover to cover, making your small notes and marking pages, and then you come back when you have to do a commentary or simply justify your translation. Much more accessible, and much more humble, approach than Newmark's.
on 6 November 2009
One of the best books on translation for anyone interested in the subject. I love the way Mona Baker writes, making translation studies accessible. She explains why the job of translator is so important for today's world and I thank her for that. A must-read for everyone working in the field. Highly recommended.
on 22 March 2013
I'm making my master in translation studies and I got this book recently.

I was a little afraid that it might be one of those coursebooks that seem to add nothing much to your knowledge, yet it proved to be quite the opposite.

It's very well written and it catches your attention and interest from page one. It provides a fresh perspective into those subjects that are better known and introduces you into new subjects with clarity and elegance. I felt it specially useful in introducing a person to some rather complex matters of linguistics, and how those theories connect with translation studies.

It was a good surprise. A must have to anyone studying, or curious about, translation.
on 2 June 2010
This book is great for any translator or student of translation.
Mona Baker teaches us how to translate using linguistic concepts.
If you need to write about translation it's perfect for referencing. Great buy.