Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Learn More Pre-order now Shop Women's Shop Men's

on 23 June 2013
I ordered this book after seeing John Hegley perform live at our local library, to continue the enjoyment in his funny, agreeable, quirky poetry at home. As I read it, in my head I heard John Hegley's self-deprecating lilt that is inseparable from these poems. (They wouldn't seem quite right read by anyone else.)

With uncannily clever wordplay, he hopscotches between poetry and prose, drawing on entertaining snippets from both insignificant and key moments of his life. There is a touching intimacy about many of these poems; it feels as if he's confiding his thoughts in you over a pint at the pub. Now and again I wanted to give him a friendly pat on the arm or a quick hug, whenever he reached a particularly poignant moment, or buy him another pint when he made me laugh out loud.

I know I'll hanging on to this book to dip into it again, often, for pleasing verbal acrobatics as he cavorts about themes of family, home, love and loss.
on 27 November 2006
I'm not usually a reader of poetry but i was given this book and was unable to put it down until i'd read all of the poems, most at least twice. very witty, touching, and overwhelmingly delightful. loved it.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 22 July 2009
I love John Hegley's poetry - his poems are usually a combination of humour and yet at the same time touchingly poingnet. This is not his best collection though - he almost seems to have grown up a bit too much!
on 13 August 2010
Having seen John Hegley live at Glastonbury where he was excellent I really enjoyed reading more of his poems. The pictures make his book very entertaining. An all round brilliant book and good value too!