Format: Paperback|Change

on 12 November 2012
I was delighted to find a 1930s copy of this book. In the 1950s my mother got it from a library and we used it to tour Ireland, all the way round, visiting the places and things to do, mentioned in this delightful book. Without it we would never have thought to visit many of places we did and have such wonderful memories. I would say a book for collectors also.
VINE VOICEon 14 September 2010
A Fleet Street reporter, H. V. Morton (1892-1979) fought in the First World War and was in Egypt in 1922 at the opening of Tutankhamun's tomb. One of the century's most popular travel writers, he wrote books about Spain, Italy and the Middle East as well as the famous `In search of..' series on the British Isles.
Something to remember about Morton's book on Ireland is its historical perspective. In Search of Ireland was first published in 1930, which was a few years after Ireland had become a Free State in 1922. Morton is seeing Ireland in the early stages of independence separated from Britain. He warns the English in his introduction, "We must forget the hosts of prejudiced ideas about her which have accumulated during centuries of strife and misunderstanding...I must stress the point that the new generation of travellers must approach Ireland with the feeling that it is a foreign country." I could not help but reflect on the history he refers to, when England was so often the aggressor, and Ireland the betrayed. Sometimes it seems he relates the events connected with a place without examining the underlying issues, he observes the empty cottages with hardly a mention of the famine or the forced evictions, or that emigration was so often not a choice, but a matter of survival. Nonetheless, Morton's humorous and insightful observations about Ireland, as a traveller in a foreign land, are worth reading and re-reading.
on 14 July 2014
Travel books are of their time and many do not bear reading even a few years after their publication. This one is over eighty years old and has been reprinted many times since so must have something going for it. Perhaps it is simply that the author's style is neither pretentious nor ponderous although some aspects are a bit wearing to modern readers. Mostly I think it is because the Ireland of the late 1920's really was a backwater, impoverished and struggling to establish itself, not somewhere travel writers were rushing to write about. So in that sense this book is a valuable memory of a country which is by comparison almost unrecognisable to-day. As Europe becomes more homogeneous it is good to remember just how different countries were and how even a few miles might make such a difference in customs and accent. For a foreigner's view of how Ireland was at that time this is a reasonable survey.
on 7 October 2013
This writer's subject and style, in his "In Search Of" series is natural, sensible and informative and very revealing fto people in this day and age. He writes in, and about, the years of my childhood and youthful years and i can relate exactly to what he says and enjoy the comparison with my own experiences.
on 7 December 2012
I chose the high rating because the book was bought as a gift for my father and mention our family so he was extremely pleased with it.
on 30 September 2015
very pleased with the book and with the prompt delivery
on 28 October 2015
Bought for my wife who is very pleased with it.
on 31 May 2015
Great document that brought up memories
on 1 February 2016
A Classic.
on 27 February 2015
I like it but wish the print had been a bit bigger. Elizabeth