on 27 March 2017
outstanding service, love the book, read twenty times already
on 30 December 2013
enjoying this book more as we go through the current A level course...not the easiest to learn but getting the hang of it with more studying
on 3 January 2013
I was looking for the full words and stage directions in the manner given by French who have published this title for amateur productions. The Theatre Workshop version does not give the full mnarraticve of the Sargeant Major's soliloqui in which he drills the recruits (and audience) in hilarious style!
on 25 July 2016
Apart from the poems of Wilfred Owen et al from the Great War nothing has moved me more than the film and later the play of 'Oh What a Lovely War'.
It was a joy therefore to find this theatre workshop Bloomsbury edition - Original version and edited and introduced by Joan Littlewood. Reading it brought back the productions I have seen and it had me humming the songs.
No-one can really explain to us who have lived with peace during our lifetimes and we owe it in our act of remembrance to understand as much as we can if we are to engage and never forget.
The lives are spent, many in the prime of their youth, on the battlefields and beyond. A generation lived with its aftermath and for many their involvement was never shared and carried to the grave.
Facts can overwhelm us. The scale of loss and the waste of life drown us in numbers we cannot count. However, wars have not ceased and the capacity to kill has advanced with time.
In his Afterword, Victor Spinetti writes ".......but I never knew that all the fuses for the shells were made in Britain and that the Germans bought their share from us, during the war."
Futility, Hypocrisy and Rage cannot begin to express one's ability to assimilate such information.
Find your means to remember but if you can catch the play, please go............
on 31 October 2014
I studied this play on a production with an amateur theatre recently, and it captured my heart. It's an absolutely smashing play and I couldn't have spent my nights this summer gone any better, than in regards to aiding of it's production on stage. The songs that lie within are very moving, and will be engraved in any observers mind long after viewing. If you read it, be sure to see it in order to experience it's true feeling and potential. An excellent play and worth the read.
on 7 August 2015
Book was in superb condition, just as described by seller. Arrived very quickly.
This text has useful notes from Joan Littlewood, many of the song lyrics, and tells you which songs go where. Better than the original script version from the 1970s.
Will be using it for a production in 2016.
on 5 July 1999
A great piece of writing and definatley worth the price. One of the greatest satire's ever devised yet it is so often misunderstood as a tastless skit. This condems war at every level... It certainly doesn't poke fun at the many who died during the "Great" war.
on 22 May 2004
Brilliantly balanced between sorrow for those who fought for our country and satirical humour to mock the incompetence of the military which lead to the deaths of 9,000,000 people.
A very moving play, even better when performed. A must buy!
on 11 September 2014
The script was perfect for a group of young and old,male and female performing the play in the open air and enabled the director to show both the humour and horrors of the First World War to an appreciative audience numbering 460 over 4 perfomances.
on 1 June 2014
We're putting on a production of this show as I type this, a very good copy if you just have to learn your lines. The lamination did start to peel after constant use but that shouldn't affect your ability to open up the book and read.