on 14 July 2015
A basic tale involving escaped murderer, a sick father and a loving family with a lot of faith and another family not so well off materially, but then you have to factor in the time of year, the time of miracles!
on 30 January 1999
I have read almost all of Mary Higgins Clark's books and I have to say that this was not one of my favorites. It was too short to set up any real suspence making it too easy to predict. Usually her novels have me on the edge of my seat or up all night trying to find out the ending.The overall story was loving and appropriate for Christmas but I look forward to reading more of the nail biting suspence books that I am accustomed to reading by The "Queen of Suspence"
on 4 March 1999
I enjoyed all of the Mary Higgins books that I have read, including this one. However, this book was really not much of a suspenseful type as some of the other ones. How could Brian just take off after this lady and not get his Mother's or brother's attention? There were other things that I couldn't understand, like why was Cally so fearful of just turning the wallet back in? She knew that she didn't steal it. Oh, well. It was a good book, but her others are better.
on 21 December 1995
I am usually a 'Mary Higgins Clark' fan, but this story was too predictable and sugary! I wouldn't have minded it as a short story, to read in a magazine, while waiting for a doctor's appointment, but at the cost of a hardcover, I don't feel it was the best value.
on 28 January 2013
love these books, Mary Higgins Clark is a brillant writer. Her books keeps you captured in the plot to the very end. There is always a twist to the end of the story that you never think is coming
on 8 November 2012
all of mary higgins clark books are excellent this is another to add to the collection grips you from start to finish
on 23 August 2010
apologies first, this is not a good review for the book, which i can barely remember.
something about a boy being kidnapped, i won't spoil it for you.
well, what can i say, i expected more from Jennifer's narration.
i generally listen to unabridged talking books,
but i was seduced by the fact that Jennifer Beals was doing the talking,
who wouldn't be, with that wonderful deep rich voice she has.
the story was ok. Jennifer was a bit on the bland side,
i hate myself for saying it but she was.
in my defence i have listened to a wide variety of audio books,
i've particularly adored Terry Pratchetts Disc World series, and think i've been spoilt by Nigel Planer.
i havn't found any more books narrated by Jennifer.
if you know of any, please let me know.
thanx
on 9 January 2006
I don't know if anyone else who's read this book got the same impressions as me - but I felt like I was reading something written for children, perhaps older children but defintely not adults. The dialogue, I thought, was 'carefully' written - there were no extremes of anything, the sort of dialogue you'd expect in a children's book! She seemed to be very careful to make it very easy to read, an easy to understand plot using easy to understand words; there were times when an adult writing FOR adults would have used much stronger words and more 'grown up' words. The plot was also extremely predictable and there was hardly any tension as you would expect for a thriller type book but if if was meant to be read by a child.......
on 1 February 1999
This is the second book of Higgins-Clark i have read. I read it twice as fast as the first one - in 6 hours! this was a great book. Take a day and grabe some snacks and read it! It had be crying, laughing and ticked off! This is a book about a family going through cisis at Christmas time. i am a mother of 2 and can relate. It was unpredictable - my only regret was that it isnt a TV movie yet!
on 16 April 1997
This book surprized me: never was a book more obviously written for the Chrstmas gift market. Totally predictably unbelievable events bring this short book to an early death. A big gyp.