on 18 March 2013
Had just been on a course for Special Needs and the leader of the course had recommended this book. A good read and very interesting. Many thanks
on 22 July 2009
If you are looking for an easy-to-read, genuinely informative book on Sensory Processing Disorder then look no further... I have read many but this is easily the most accessible: what it is, how it feels, why some people experience the world this way and what might make things easier. Everyone I have recommended this book to has come back with a much greater understanding and, for some, the sense that a huge veil has been lifted. Oh, and the tip about apple sauce through a straw is a real winner!
on 20 May 2013
When it was mentioned that my child might have sensory processing I found this book gave a very good understanding of Sensory processing and it various categories and what senses come under each category. It is American and refers to American agencies but there is enought in this book to helpe me recognise symptoms and it gave some coping strategies for when your child has a sensory overload. I didn't think my child had sensory problems and just thought he just had some strange ways and as if often the case it wasn't picked up until year 2 at school. Whilst reading this book I could identify scenarios and things became a little clearer and I was able to implement strategies before it became a big deal. This book is also one of the ones the OT's recommend reading. Pity the husband wouldn't read it.
on 6 June 2006
At last - a book that actually explains sensory processing disorder (and sensory modulation disorder) in a way that everyone can understand. Lucy Jane Miller writes in an open and honest way, giving parents and carers exact information without overloading on technical jargon.

After reading this fantastic book despair is slowly ebbing away and light can be seen at the end of the tunnel!!
on 11 October 2009
My son is going through assessment for a Sensory disorder, and this book helped me understand what it is, and what behaviour this relates to. This book is clearly set out and explains everything in laymans terms, giving diagrams and check lists to help you identify if your child falls into any of the different sensory disorder possiblities. I would recommend this book to anyone who needs clarity on these ideas, which are new - but are thankfully moving away from labelling every child with ADHD or Autism.
on 7 December 2010
As usually, the most known for SPD-parents person Lucy Miller gives a very clear, helpful, easy-reading and important advises as well as detailed description of all diagnoses of SPD-spectrum. A MUST have.
Our sensory therapist calls it a "BIBLE". I completely agree.
on 26 July 2011
Easy to read with detailed information on sensory processing disorder.
My son has this and it has helped our family gain a better understanding of what it is and how to help our son.
on 17 March 2014
This book is excellent, very informative. My son has been diagnosed with SPD, and I've read 'Out of Sync Child' by Carol Kranowitz, so alreday knew a bit about the condition. Lucy Millar has a wonderfully easy style of writing without talking down to you. You can tell she has worked with numerous (probably hundreds) of parents, and can identify with their concerns and questions.
on 15 January 2014
Recommended by the OT for my son. A must read for any parent with a child suffering from sensory processing disorder. I could completely relate to it and felt great comfort that I wasn't alongout there or upset that I had misdiagnosed my son for so long as I genuinely had not heard about this subject before or any of the people I know.
on 3 August 2010
Great book. Interesting and informative read to enlighten the reader on their child's sensory needs.