on 4 November 2014
I really enjoyed this workable approach to positive parenting. It reminded me of a few home truths I had forgotten, particularly the connection side of things. I'm seeing the benefits in my 4 year old already.
on 20 September 2016
I'm only on page 14, but so far I feel like every single word was written for me. This book cuts to the chase, immediately gets to the point and gives advice straight from the beging. I am in exactly the situation this book describes so it calms me down knowing a book has been written on this subject and many people buy it, which means I'm not the only one screaming at my kids (not that it makes it okay). I look forward to every page and can't wait for it to help me change my ways with my kids because I so want them to have the childhood I didn't.
on 29 October 2013
This book offers real insight into finding peace within oneself so that the relationship between parent and child comes from this peaceful place rather than from the hurts of our own past which can often manifest as anger, yelling and a desire to control. Looking inward first before interacting with our children can help us to become more empathetic as we encourage our little ones to show empathy for others.

If you sometimes struggle with staying calm in the face of a tantrum or 'bad' behaviour and want to find a way to quell those inner angry voices then this book will provide you with practical moment-to-moment techniques to calm down and approach your child with love, compassion and understanding.

It is non-judgemental. It is real. It does not preach. It offers skills and insight into our own inner self and our connection with our children.

Highly recommended.
on 4 November 2015
I read this book over a couple of days, and found it very easy to dip in and out of. It really centres around the parent/carer changing their approach to the 'problem child'.
Our son has suspected ADHD and have seen much of his oppositional behaviour recede after applying a few of the simple strategies provided.
Money well spent! I highly recommend this book.
on 2 September 2015
This is a fantastic book. It's easy to read, there are loads of examples (which I find very helpful) and it makes so much sense. I'm so pleased I found it....I was (still am sometimes!) finding my sons behaviour incredibly challenging and felt compelled to punish/shout/try to "be strict"....it felt totally wrong and made me very unhappy. This is such a better way for me. This has changed our lives for the better. It's a lot to take in so I hope I will be able to remember it....I guess I probably need to reread it and use the website.
on 12 February 2015
It's amazing how many sensitive spots this book touched on from my own childhood that I found myself repeating. I had been reading her blog, but this book puts all of her articles in a much more readable/understandable order. I realised I did too much shouting and wanted to change and this book has really helped. I still have lots more work to do especially with my issues from my own childhood, but it's going in the right direction. This book is def worth a punt if you are looking to parent positively.
on 28 December 2013
As the mother of an 18 month old I constantly receive parenting "advice" from well meaning friends and family (a lot of it often contradictory or I just didn't like the sound of!). This book is full of great advice and helps you to understand your parenting journey from your child's perspective too. Helps you to make parenting decisions that feel right in your gut (e.g "this is what I need to do to help my child grow into a confident, happy, caring empathic adult" and not "this is something that will stop my toddler tantruming in the short term but will damage their self esteem in the long term"). Cannot recommend thus book highly enough!
on 22 September 2013
love, love, love... i just love it. every piece of advice of it. i have 3 lovely little children and i am so concerned of me yelling at them, and i want to change things, i don't want to be that kind of mum i am at the moment. i don't want my babies to be scared of me. i want to change. and this book shows you the way. it's just up to you to remember and implement all advice it gives. Laura Markham - thank you! thank you! thank you!
i have bought this book to 2 of my friends and will not stop there, cannot recommend enough. must have for parents.
on 6 October 2014
If there was only one parenting book I could recommend to a mom to be or mom of toddlers it would definitely be this one! And I've read more than a hand full!
This book has changed the way I communicate with my kids (3yrs and 1.5yrs). It has made me realize why they behave the way they do, why they say the things the say and how whatever I do impacts their behavior.
Absolutely brilliant. I'm even considering re-reading it.
on 4 June 2015
An extraordinary book, it has transformed the way I am parenting my son. I just wish I had read it before he was born. It has given me confidence to parent as I feel not as I experienced or would be told. It essentially says connect and keep connected with your child. It's easy to read in small sections and repeats bits as appropriate so you don't miss the golden stuff. It's the 'Aha!' Parenting model and it's really working for me with my 7 year old son.