on 14 May 2003
I must admit to having being spoilt by Ms.Roberts excellent recent books - Three Fates and Chesapeake Blue to name two. Here I feel that the standard has dropped somewhat - that's not to say it was'nt good - it just was'nt great and that is what I've come to expect from this consistently talented author.
The book had too many plotlines going on all at once for me - there was Callie the archeologist on an exciting dig, meeting up with ex-hubby Jake on the site, finding out she was adopted, dealing with her adoptive parents who had never told her this news, meeting her birth mother and her brother, brothers susequent relationship with the lawyer Callie hires to find out her past - she was stolen and sold as a black market baby - and then the murders start.......... I'm exhausted just trying to remember it all.
As a result of all this, the characters personalities were under-developed and it was harder to get "into" the storyline, the supporting players who normally provide good back-drop and suspects for all the murder and mayhem barely left an impression and so when the "final curtain" came it was all a bit anti-climatic....
Having said all that, it did hold the interest to the end and if it were a first novel by anyone else it would be a 5 star..... it's just not vintage Nora.
10 people found this helpful
on 19 July 2016
What a fabulous read! I could hardly put it down. As usual, Nora Roberts did not disappoint me one bit. What a brilliant film it would make. I could imagine Joan Collins playing the part of Eve. It has everything. Romance, a bit of a thriller. Really good characters. Come on someone - make the film...Please...
on 17 October 2015
Many Roberts books are boring in my view but there are a handful with strong vivid characters who you really enjoy and empathise with, that I retread. Birthright is one of the few, interesting storyline, links to archaeology which I find fascinating. Some great side characters too and a nice love story. However the central thread is a good thriller and this is when Nora Roberts books improve on formulaic romances. Highly recommend
on 25 May 2017
So much i could say about this story. So sympathetically written, you feel for each family. Plus the suspense. Read so many of Nora's books, but this one my hands down favourite!
on 8 February 2013
I chose this book because I have read quite a lot of her books and except for the odd one- I have alwaysenjoyed them. The author always describes the characters so well that you don't have any poblem forming your own image of them and I do find her books based on mystery or murders very gripping. I do recommend this book to others and wil certainly carry on reading her novels.
S.Jone
on 30 April 2017
quick delivery as described another great read
on 14 November 2017
Another very good
on 1 June 2017
Just I love N.Robert's books.
on 28 February 2018
Never disappointed with Nora Roberts.
on 17 November 2013
I love Nora Roberts' books, she never disappoints. The stories are gripping and I hate to get to the end I want it to go on and on. I expected the stories to become similar as every author has a style but I am always surprises.