Customer reviews

Lost Moon
Format: Hardcover|Change

on 20 October 2016
If you liked the film, with it's stunning James Horner film score, this book will not disappoint. It goes into much more detail about the mission and how they managed to get the 3 astronauts back: the technical details are not boring and easily understandable. It's a gripping read and James Lowell brings it all vividly to life. Who better to explain what happened than the remarkable man who was actually there?
Highly recommended.
on 10 October 2017
This is well written by Mr. Kluger, who is evidently an accomplished storyteller, though I would have liked Mr. Lovell's voice to have come through more. His seemingly effortless progression from brilliant boyhood to outstanding astronaut left me a little unsatisfied. Similarly, the characters of his two companions in the adventure remain largely unrevealed. But this is not a biography; it sets out to tell an exciting story with enough technical information and background not to overwhelm the general reader, and in this it succeeds.
on 20 October 2013
It took me over 10 years to get round to buying this book, but when I found it for a decent price on Marketplace I took the plunge. I think it's the fastest book I've ever read, it really pulls you in on a factual, emotional journey.

Co-written by Jim Lovell himself in the third person, the book is based on the actual timeline of events and features transcripts of the air-ground voice communications as well as some very interesting background information.

If you're a fan of Apollo 13, which is generally factually correct (with the odd exception), then this book drills down into more detail and will probably provide the answer to anything you were curious about or had a burning desire to know about!

After reading the book, I then re-watched the film and it completely transformed my viewing experience. With the extra knowledge gained you seem to pick up on certain detail / remarks in the film which you think you missed before.

Don't delay like I did, I can certainly recommend this book.
2 people found this helpful
on 5 December 2013
I am old enough to have experienced this event live. Having watched the movie numerous times I decided to read Jim Lovell's account of this epic rescue in space. I wasn't disappointed. There is obviously much more to the story than was shown in the movie. It's a bit like "The Titanic"; you know the story, but the devil is in the detail. It really shows how a group of clever people fixed numerous problems to get the crew safely home.
on 2 February 2017
Fantastic read about the Apollo 13 mission, enjoyed this much more than the movie and it really had me turning page after page, this is even after I had read already a lot about the Apollo 13 mission. An in-depth look at the causes of the incident and how it affected those involved.
on 26 December 2015
I was familiar with this story from the Tom Hanks Apollo 13 movie and, for some reason, I was expecting the emotions to be the same. The book is not actually written solely by Jim Lovell so it is in a 'third person' narrative. For this reason, I could not get to the heart of the story and found the NASA Speak somewhat baffling. Perhaps another go at reading will change my mind.
on 22 October 2014
You might think it's not worth buying this because the film is so good. This fantastically readable book goes into greater detail and I was left understanding how much the film simplifies the story - hundreds more people were involved in getting the boys back to earth.
on 29 September 2016
I wished I was an Astronaut when I was a boy, and the yearning's never really left me. Felt I was getting a good look at what it must have been like through one of my Astronaut heroes, who'd lived it, to the extreme.
on 21 September 2012
even though the apollo era is no longer with us and was more intresting then the not so intresting shuttle program its great that an apollo astronaut jim lovell can write a fascinating account of his ill fated mission but it was and still is a sucessful mission. This is a remarkable and its an excellent book and read from cover to cover. highly reccomended.
Wayne
on 26 February 2018
great book great service provided by seller