Customer reviews

on 4 December 2014
What a wonderful, beautiful and original CD this is. Allow me to explain. Scare is a Boston rock band of some renown. Their usual music is very different to this, but as a one-off, they were as I understand it, asked to come up with some original adaptations of traditional Christmas carols, and boy did they deliver! What you get on this CD is 10 well known carols performed with a folk music adaptation, so soft guitars and understated vocals rather than sleigh bells and a "big" music sound! Chick and Joyce's soothing vocals bring a sense of warmth and closeness to the carols which is so different and rather more engaging compared to the usual way that these songs are performed. So I think context is the only issue here.

For those rating the book/album poorly, they were probably expecting something far more traditional than this folk rendition, that's all. If you want traditional carol records, there are thousands out there. If you want an understated, folky piece of holly to decorate your Christmas, then this is the place to come.
on 4 October 2015
Bought for my grandson's 2nd birthday but went down a treat even with his older brother and friends who love George too. Cards are thick and laces bright and colourful.
on 28 May 2017
Super, thanks
on 25 July 2016
Was given to my son as a birthday present. He absolutely loves the story's and Has me reading the stories every ugly before going to sleep. I have not managed to get to the end of a story yet before he is fast asleep
on 8 July 1999
My three-year-old absolutely loves this book. The story is very cute and the illustrations are wonderful! My son likes to pretend he's eating the chocolates off the page that shows which swirls indicate which fillings. And the drawings of the factory itself, where the machines look like friendly robots complete with smiling faces, are priceless! A very enjoyable book that will be read again and again!
on 2 March 1999
We enjoyed seeing George get into trouble and then, as always, end up saving the day. We learned how to tell what's inside a piece of chocolate by looking at the swirls on top. We tested that fact ourselves and it works!
on 8 November 2003
George goes to the chocolate factory with his friend to buy some chocolates. His friend asks him to stay put while he buys some chocolates. Soon George wanders off to have a look about and needless to say, he gets up to mischif.
This book was my first Curious George purchase for my 3 and 5 year olds. (I have subsequently received more as gifts from friends but must say, I am not a fan). I am in no way impressed at either story or illustration. The story fails to deliver any of the elements I require from a children's book. Imagination, good illustrations, captivation, fun, "again mummy" factor, etc.
It's just a story.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 6 September 2012
This book tells the story of a monkey who is abducted from him home in the jungle and taken to the city by The Man with the Yellow Hat. The Man intends to take George to the zoo. There's just one problem, George is always curious.

And so it is that he tries to fly while on the ship taking them to the city. But when he tries to make a phone call, things get really out of control. Will George's curiosity get him into trouble he can't handle?

This is another one I remember liking from my childhood. I'm not sure it holds up as well today as it did back then. Part of it is the potential issue of George's abduction. It didn't bother me as a kid, but it doesn't sit as well with me as an adult. Then again, George being curious in the jungle wouldn't be interested for those of us who live in the city, and it's just a set up to the main fun of George in the city.

And really, the story is fun. The moral of the danger of curiosity comes through loud and clear. It's a wild, improbable tale, but I certainly remember loving it as a kid. And the pictures, while dated, are simple and charming. There are some other dated elements (like smoking a pipe being treated as normal), but most of the kids today will still enjoy the book.

So George is still a charming friend for any child, although he's not quite as classic as some other choices.
on 2 December 2014
Two year old grandson loves George and his antics, this gives quality one on one time n a beautiful hard back illustrated book with short stories to retain little ones attention span, love it
on 21 December 2014
This book surpassed my expectations. I did not expect hard back. I could not locate it any where before trying Amazon. My Grandson will be well pleased at Christmas.