on 3 May 2012
This is a wonderful collection. I honestly think that John Betjemann was a very great poet. He was very much a poet of the everyday and had a remarkable ability to give even the most ordinary experiences of life a depth of meaning which brings you up short and makes you look at things in a different way and see things of which you had been unaware. To me this is a mark of a true poet. I read this collection over and over again and each time discover new treasures in it.
on 6 June 2014
His mastery of words so beautifully set to verse is captivating. Since I bought it I take it everywhere with me. I will never tire of reading it again and again and being in my seventies now I am committing as many of them to memory as I can in the hope it will help keep my brain active. Also, there is a very good double CD of many of his collected poems read by famous actors. Often listened to on long car journeys.
on 8 November 2012
All that I expected and more, this book gives a comprehensive insight into the works of Betjeman as well as a resume of his life, memories of a long gone era when things were definitely slower, the summers full of sunshine, people with character and most of all the architecture. His memory lasts on with his amazing bid to save Victorian gothic architecture, particularly St Pancras Railway Station, a place to visit in it's own right, no destination required, with the immortal statue of a man that saw so much of quintessential England and it's people that we miss nowadays in our busy lives, a must read for young and old, nostalgia and history. *****
on 13 May 2016
John Betjeman is one of our finest modern poets. He can be funny, wistful, challenging, and very moving. He has such a whimsical view of people and lifestyles that you can laugh with him at the pompous, see the beauty of the landscape and the buildings he loved, and weep with him at the deaths of people he admired or at his understanding of loneliness or deprivation. This is a very complete collection of his poems, at a very good bargain price. Pick it up, open it at random and be absorbed in his world. I guarantee that if you only intended to read one poem, you will still be unable to put it down an hour later.
on 17 November 2012
Bought the Kindle version of this book and I couldn't put it down! I find his style to be in my taste of what poetry should be, nothing too deep and self/soul searching! Something that is easy AND amusing to read!
I'm not going to pick a favourite poem as we all have our own tastes!
Well worth the money, a real page turner or, in my case, "a real Kindle Clicker!"
on 21 May 2013
I have not ready many of Betjemans poems so I wasn't sure how this book would go for me. I was not disappointed. A walk through an earlier age! I will be moving to warmer climes soon and this book will be the perfect companion for me whenever I need a bit of nostalgia.
on 4 March 2013
This is an ideal collection for the poetry fan, the Betjeman fan, or for anyone who wants a comprehensive introduction to John Betjeman. Well arranged, excellent coverage of his work, and the poems simply speak for themselves!
Can certainly recommend.
on 11 January 2002
A preservationist in (usually) the best sense--in architecture, poetry forms, landscapes, humour, the heart--Sir John Betjeman inspired a large following in the UK and maybe 2-3 in the USA. More 'verse' than 'poetry' as he characteristically self-effacingly called the contents of this volume, his work still holds a lot of charm and power. 'Middlesex' perhaps encapsualtes him best...
on 3 June 2013
Another fit of nostalgia! Haven't read Betjeman since school (50 years ago) so it was a pleasant poetic trip down memory lane to reread many and to read others for the first time. It now has joined my other cherished books on my bookshelf!
on 8 October 2016
I like poetry read by Betjeman his voice is timeless.
I decided I would like a book of his poetry and found
two so I bought them, both hardbacks and am enjoying
reading them