Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 23 May 2016
A beautiful unusual little tale. The value of Frederick's observations is apparent when his poetry is revealed to the others during their darkest times. I love that through this book, children will begin to understand how nourishing the mind and making emotional connections through art/music/poetry is just as important to happiness as having food to eat and somewhere to stay. We realise this need gradually as we grow up, and start to identify which examples of these are moving and meaningful to each of us, so I wouldn't expect small children to fully grasp the concept, but it will show them that there is more to life's pleasures than having physical requirements met.
on 18 June 2016
One of my favourite children's books - it has not dated!
on 15 July 2017
Lovely story. Bought as a christening present.
on 19 June 2017
Good story but just a wee bit pretentious.
on 4 January 2013
i love this book, and it's a firm favourite with my 4 year old too!
A nice message about being tolerant of people with different perspectives on life to you!
on 10 March 2011
OK so I loved Frederick when I was a child and thought I'd get a copy for a birthday present. But this edition was in Spanish - not much use to me I'm afraid. Yes, if I'd scrolled down and read the technical details it does say it there, but it never dawned on me to check the language of the book (paperback or hardback, new and secondhand is all I normally consider with books). I don't believe that the other 8 reviewers who gave it 5 stars were referring to this particular edition either so it's rather misleading of Amazon to link the reviews.
The pictures are great and I remember the story too so it's 5 star for Frederick - just not in Spanish.
(And I have submitted a product description amendment to specify the language of the edition - so hopefully this will be clear now.)
on 13 September 2010
I remembered this being read to me when I was a child, and was looking forward to my own daughter being of an age where should could understand it. Sure enough, when I first read the story she was delighted by Frederick and his thoughts. Lionni has created a beautiful story from a simple concept, one that will amuse her for a long time to come.
on 25 November 2015
The book looked older than expected
As Frederick's four siblings gather food and stocks for the upcoming winter, Frederick does nothing or so it appears! A little confused, his siblings ask him why he does not work. His reply? "I do work. I gather sun rays for the cold dark winter days." What else is he gathering? Will it truly help during the long winter?

At the beginning you wonder if Frederick is just being lazy and making excuses but the ending is truly beautiful!
on 3 October 2010
A marvel mouse masterpiece to introduce young readers to poetry, FREDERICK illustrated how a poet works and what poetry can do for a community in a story when other mouselings gather food for the winter, he gather food for thoughts. Seemingly lazy and doing nothing, Frederick collects sunshine, colors and words for he foresees winter is cold, dark and long. His friends question about his idleness but remain courteous. Frederick holds firm in his post for he knows both roles that attend to physical and spiritual needs are vital for their survival. When the bleak season comes and they all share the crops together and when all the food is gone, it is Frederick's turn to make his contribution. He helps his friends use imagination to stay warm, remember the picturesque spring days and cheer them up with his poem, full of humor and splendor that young readers will be delighted to hear. Frederick is also available in DVD format which the animated pictures will further bring this Caldecott Honor winning fable to life.

Swimmy & More Classic Leo Lionni Stories [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]