Format: Paperback|Change

on 21 November 1998
I taught myself to cook Indian cuisine from this book. Although I now own a number of vegetarian cook books, I find myself returning to "World of the East.." again and again. I found the glossary of exotic ingredients extremely helpful. One of her recipes, apricot chutney, is a mainstay in my holiday gift baskets. The chutney has even been mistaken for "Major Grey's" before. I would recommend this book to anyone with a little cooking experience who wants to broaden their cooking horizons.
on 19 September 1998
When I lived in a household with cooking shared among 7 adults, and over 5 linear feet of cookbooks, over half our meals came from this book. She's accessible and reliable: the worse recipe we tried was merely "good", and most were very good to excellent! Most recipes are easy, although some are only for the ambitious. My only complaint: it's a paperback, so the binding will fall apart from the heavy use you're likely to give this cookbook.
on 31 July 1997
I am a fan of Eastern food. And since I am currently living in a more rural environment, it is often difficult to go out to a restaurant to satisfy my cravings for intense flavors and spices. This book helps me overcome my cravings. The ingredients are generally easy to find (even in the country) at the grocery store or health-food store, and the recipes are not too difficult to prepare. There are some elaborate recipes, but the author recommends that they be prepared for a special occasion. Most can be made on an everyday basis, after work.

There is a wonderful variety of ethnic groups in this cookbook, varying from Japanese and Chinese to Persian to Phillipino to Indian....on and on. A great book for people who are both new or experienced to this type of cuisine. And, everything I've made from this cookbook has been delicious so far. Try it!
on 31 May 1999
A wonderful cookbook filled with authentic vegetarian and vegan Indian cuisine. A great source for rich, satisfying meatless dishes that prove that adhering to a cruelty-free diet does not mean eating bland, tasteless food. A standard in our household.
on 23 April 2013
The recipes are lovely the problem is that they are time consuming and it is impossible to cook from a basic shopping list and conventional supermarket. There is not one recipe that does not require a trip to a specialty shop, the out come is that the book is never used...her recipes also have reference to other recipes in the book but with out page numbers hence time taken to look the word up and then to look up the second part of the original recipes making it all the more time consuming....I guess if I lived in NY york and all the ingredient were not too far away it would be a yummy experience but unhappily that is not the case.
on 3 July 1998
Madhur Jaffrey, through her cookbook, allows the average and not so average cook to experience a myriad of tastes that of are eastern origin. Even the most staunch meat-eater will agree that these recipes place vegetarian cooking in an elite class. Buy the book and see for yourself!
on 30 November 1997
A wonderful change from the blandness of New York's vegetarian food. Try the very spicy delicious chick peas, and lentils with garlic and tomatoes. It's tops.
on 31 October 2014
Excellent copy and service
on 21 May 2010
I hated this book so much, I returned it for a refund. I ordered it as a substitute for the other Madhur Jaffrey vegetarian World cookbook that seems to be no longer available.
The book was expensive and I was really disappointed when I received it. It is a paperback, no pictures and the text was on such yellowing pages that it felt like a very old book. I would say it is only for the dedicated vegetarian and not for those just interested in Asian vegetable dishes. You can do better Madhur!
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse