Customer reviews

on 27 February 2001
Not much has to be said about Alan Moorehead's Blue Nile or its companion the White Nile. If you've ever wanted to be an explorer in Africa on a lazy afternoon then this is it. It's a history of a river and a travel book rolled into one. And that would be an understatement.
on 23 August 2011
Quite simply the most interesting book I have ever read. It captured my attention from the first few words right to the end. It is well written; it moves at just the right pace, never lingering too long on any particular section; it tells the story of many different and intriguing characters, framed by a fascinating and yet terrifying place, at a very strange and at times, shocking period in history. It will most probably encourage you to read more on the subject.
on 19 December 2011
Having read someone else's copy some years ago and just started on Tim Jeal's recently published 'Explorers of the Nile' I felt I needed to have my own copy of 'The White Nile'. To find I had bought a much better illustrated and produced copy than the one I had read was a pleasant surprise. Now fully briefed by Jeal's up-to-date scholarship and research I read it with slightly different eyes, but no less admiration.
on 27 March 2011
I read this before travelling to Uganda and the source of the Nile. It made my adventure so much more enjoyable as I could relate to the country and people with a far greater empathy knowing that it has only been developed for the last 200 years or so. It also gave me a real insight to the history of the interior of the dark continent.
on 19 April 2014
Published in 1960, some of the attitudes jar as does the lack of recognition given to Africans and Arabs for their massive contribution to the exploration of the White Nile, but historically it is fascinating, particularly if you have been to the area
on 25 August 2015
I needed the book as a part of the history of the Nile. it is really informative and a fairly true reflection of that period. arrived within expected time with very good packaging.
on 9 July 2014
excellent, a very good edition with lots of illustrations and maps
on 12 March 2015
Alan Moorehead is great, he has a way with words
on 5 October 2015
It may be an old book but it was great to read.
on 29 September 2012
I was curious to learn more about British colonial history in the Arab and African worlds and found this book by accident.
What a pleasure it has proven to read! The author marries incredible research scholarship with a fluent style which tells the story of several explorers while also evenhandedly assessing the impact of their exploits. I am impressed. Presumably the journalistic training of the author taught him how to write for comprehension AND interest, something that few pure historians seem to be able to accomplish. I am ready to re-read The White Nile with an atlas by my side, and then it's on to The Blue Nile. Pity the author is no longer with us to write more of these great historical masterpieces.

My only wish is that the publisher had been more generous with maps for each chapter in order to facilitate understanding of the immense distances which, as the author points out at the close, these tireless explorers actually WALKED.