on 3 March 2016
It is not that I am a FAN OF HITLER OR STALIN; I HAD THE BOOK AND IT GOT DESROYED IN A FIRE AND I THOUGHT I WOULD REPLACE IT. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO BE A FAN OF THESE TWO TO READ ABOUT THEM. I JUST WANTED THE BOOK FOR INFORMATION PURPOSES,AND WHAT I HAVE READ SO FAR I FOUND VERY INTEERESTING
on 9 February 2015
A tome of a book...but I am in the process of reading it and it's just what I thought...a story of the two baddies lined up in successive chapters. Will keep me busy though...look at the page content. Bullock is that old-fashioned type of historian who does his best not to show prejudice.
on 13 March 2013
Have been after this book for ages. Great bargain. Both fascinating characters from history compared and contrasted so marvellously by Bullock.
on 2 January 2017
Great value for money. Good condition.
on 7 January 2016
amazing
on 17 June 2009
I found this book very heavy going, its written in a long winded rambling style with no concern for the reader, by this I mean you frequently have to re-read sentences to get where the inflexion is meant to be in order to make sense of the sentence. The hallmark of good writing is prose that you do not have to re-read several times to make sense of. Prose that flows smoothly where the meaning is explicit. I assume that the author, as a celebrated Oxbridge professor, is somehow above trivial concerns about things such as re-ability, and that, rather bizarrely, his publisher is too timid, or perhaps too overawed by his greatness, to suggest he needs an editor...
on 2 June 2015
I found this book very difficult to get into and unfortunately I gave up after reading about a third of it.The chapters I read were too political for me and I was hoping the book would give an insight into the personal lives of the two dictators which I would have found more interesting.The politics was too much for me to understand and I had to give up.Maybe once the second world war started the book might have become more interesting but I could not persevere long enough to find out.