Customer reviews

on 26 April 2007
I read this as a child and never forgot it. Recently I dug it out again and read it as an adult and it still holds that magic. It is one of those books, I suppose because it is written for children, that just seems to be over too quickly, as it is just so enjoyable. It plays with hidden realities just beyond our reach, with fun possibilities that are of the substance that daydreams are made of. It really is not like anything else I've ever read.
on 16 February 1999
This story unfolds gently, casting reflections here and there to tempt the reader, to caress them closer so that they may leave knowing that they have a fantastic child within their spirit. It explores the close connection between imagination and reality, between memory and experience. A beautiful tome of inspiration which lacks only the recognition it deserves, woven adeptly into a childlike vision of other worlds.
on 22 January 2009
I first read this at the age of ten and have waited twenty five years to get my hands on a copy. Now my seven year old son is enthralled.
It's much more than a fantasy novel; it makes you look at the world in a completely new way. It starts off as something of an adventure, but then touches on ecology, philosophy, spirituality, quantum physics, the purpose of life and even the nature of God.
It's narrated in jerky, staccato prose by a teenage protagonist alienated from the world by his experiences. Davidson's achievements are both to render this alternate world totally believable, and to structure the book so that it's almost impossible to put it down at the end of each chapter.
It's something of a virus - once you've read it, you'll never forget what it describes. You'll feel, like the narrator, that you had these experiences once upon a time, and that if only you could remember how, you too could go back to Plum Lake.
on 5 February 1999
I first read this book when I was about 11, and I enjoyed it loads. Re-reading it 13 years later, there is so much more I can pick up on. It is a beautifully written book, which brings the boy's fantasy alive - but it's not just a fantasy book - there is much which touches the reader in elegant and delicate ways.
on 28 February 2012
I love Lionel Davidson - The Rose of Tibet and Kolymsky Heights are my favourites; and this 'kids' book did not disappoint.

A must for any youngster from ten to one-hundred-and-ten.

I wish he was still around and writing.
on 24 March 2003
This is a truly magical, mystical, haunting and evocative book. Lionel Davidson takes you to a world you will never forget and will forever wish you could visit. It evokes a feeling that maybe you have been there before, but you can't *quite* remember, no matter how hard you try. I want to try a ragusa and fly on my kite above Plum Lake. I want to go to a pleasuredrome and I want to be a fish and I want to visit the Abyss, even although I know I'd be as scared as Barry. I want to lick a sweet that turns my mouth into a cathedral. I tell you, reading this as a child has definitely shaped the person I am today. My two copies are jealously guarded and do not leave my house. If you can get your hands on this book, it's worth it at any price.
on 27 December 1998
This is one of the best books I have ever had the pleasure of reading. Lionel Davidson sweeps his readers off their feet and into an unimaginable land of the future. A fantastic book!!
on 30 November 2016
A wonderful, magical book that captivates the imagination. So different from all his other works that I wonder where the ideas come from and what set him to write it.
on 21 April 2015
Simply magical and a brilliant adventure story. Absolutely loved this book, could not put it down, a joy for young readers and adults.
on 31 January 2016
excellent book. Although written for children, I enjoyed it.