Customer reviews

on 14 March 2017
Excellent
on 23 July 2007
In my opinion, this is the best existing book on the history of western music ever published. There is a host of information, written clearly, from the ancient Greece to contemporary music. I was astonished by the quality of presentation, with continous references to recorded examples, wonderful illustrations, bits of graphs and pictures showing musical notation, etc. Not to mention the extraordinarily good, vast, reasonably-priced ancillary material. This include both online and off-line materials, and it was thanks to this book that I discovered I could download some mp3 files and also access all of Naxos music library for six months with a small additional $15. Just type "a history of western music 7e" in Google and explore what is available on the first website that comes up. If you're serious about learning the history of music, buy this book now. I can guarantee you will be happy.
on 15 February 2012
Updated version of the resource we depended upon, studying music at university in the 70's. Bought for daughter off to study for music degree last year and she has found it equally useful. Lovely modern design and layout, it improves with each new updated edition. Will be buying another to use with our A level students
on 14 July 1999
An excellent overview of the development of Western music from its origins in Ancient Greece to the avant garde composers of the late 20th century. In covering so much it can not possibly provide detailed information on each topic but is a good "jumping off" point to lead into more detailed work on any of the topics. This is assisted by an excellent bibliography for each section including information both on sources and details for further reading material. Essential for A-Level students and probably the same for those at degree level as a general reference.
on 15 February 2009
I teach music to A Level and this is an invaluable book. Not only is it the 'bible' of Western music, it is an absolute first class starting reference point for essays and understanding.
No music student, teacher or scholar should be without it.
on 22 November 2013
Great content in this book, massive help to me and my study of music history. Every music student should own a copy.

Shame that the cover is made of very flimsy card, after only using the book several times the cover became dog-eared and now refuses to sit flat. That's my only criticism.
on 21 May 2010
As a classical musician, this book is a must have for all those essay you need to write. Not difficult to understand and very informative. It's also an extremely interesting book!
on 10 June 2005
Probably the best introduction to weatern music available. Very comprehensive and clear an absolute must.
on 5 August 2008
Browsing through this book when I found it in Borders, I lost all track of time and found I'd copped a parking fine when I got back to the multi-storey where I'd left my wheels. That says something for how absorbing a read it is.

The authors' approach is to set the history of music in the religious, political and social milieux that have influenced its development. They trace the history of music from ancient times to the present day. The text is exceptionally clearly written, superbly illustrated and has notated examples throughout. As well as the main text there is an excellent glossary and extensive suggestions for further reading.

I found its analysis of form and texture a little difficult to follow but that in no way spoiled my enjoyment. Since buying it I've read it, browsed it and dipped into again and again. IMO It would be good value at twice the price.
on 28 November 2011
A great book covering the history of western music from the earliest music to the music we have today. Highly Reccomended.