on 17 March 2015
Excellent. It seems pricey, but not when you see how many books and authors are included. It's great for Uni work and much better than buying all of the individual works. The covers are quite thin and therefore a bit fragile for such a big book, especially if you use it often, so it may be worth covering it to keep it in better condition. Again, if using for work or uni, the online access (via password inside the cover) is really useful for understanding the texts better, with quizzes, more detailed information, and revision resources. The whole book is quite bulky, so I recommend this ABC version, as it's split into 3 volumes. Much easier to carry around and read comfortably.
on 21 January 2013
Most people buy the Norton anthology for Academic purposes, rather than by choice. If this is the case, then I reccommend this version of volume 2, split into three sections if you only require one of two texts at a time. If you require many, you might as well but the bigger one, the advantages of this one being you only have to lug one smaller book around. If you needed three texts each in a different book, then you'd have to carry all three (which is heavier and larger than the whole normal anthology). Get it second hand if you can, and an earlier edition also if you can, it will end up much cheaper that way.
on 4 September 2013
I am in my third year of University studying English. I ordered this after my course recommended it and am glad I have done so - it has an insane amount of English literature contained within it, spanning across the ages. From Chaucer to Shakespeare, Jonson to Faustus, there is a bit of everything and I'm very excited to dive into these classics. Although probably not as detailed as a, say, Oxford or York edition of the respective texts, this anthology does have some footnotes where obscure phrases and words are used to help students along.

One thing I would certainly warn potential purchasers of is that it's a BRICK. It is literally the Bible of literature, and weighs a ton. So it's hardly ideal for taking back and forth to Uni if you are a commuter like myself. But just for the density of this book alone in relation to its price, it's certainly something I'd recommend for both students and avid readers of classics.
on 22 December 2013
It may seem odd to buy an anthology of English literature put together almost wholly by American academics. But I don’t know any other publication that provides such a useful summary of English literature of the Victorian era.

The introduction and the time line allow the reader to consider each author in his own context. The contents include a huge range of well chosen poems, short stories, plays and extracts from longer works.

As well as introductions to individual writers, the anthology contains overviews of the changing economic and social changes which characterise the Victorian era. It is not easy reading, but I recommend it to anyone studying English literature at any level.
on 4 September 2014
Arrived very quickly and came with two other books I ordered in one single package. It has all the texts I need for studying but be careful with it as the paper is incredibly thin.
on 17 August 2015
Had to buy this for my course at university.

Made a very good door stop.
on 11 March 2014
If you are cover English Literature/ Renaissance literature within higher education this book is a must.
I purchased this book due to it holding 4 texts I needed for my course.
Very good reference book, though it is very bulky.
Would recommend to any student covering this on their course
on 20 October 2016
very useful for my daughter studying English Literature at University
on 1 August 2013
I ordered this book as it was on my reading list for university.
It's very clearly set out and is great for English students!
I'd highly recommend it.