on 15 September 2012
I bought this book for a university module. I went in knowing absolutely nothing about American history and having not read volume one of give me liberty. However Foner's book does not require any prior knowledge and is very accessible and easy-going, I was reading 30-50 pages a day without becoming tired of it.

This is not a criticism but a warning against using this book as anything but an introductory text, it covers all the basics, however further reading will be essential to flesh out the skeleton structure which Foner provides. If you already have a sound basic knowledge of American history during the period covered you may benefit from buying a more detailed text and simply find this in a library where you need a refresher.

The book serves its purpose as an introduction, however when I return to studying American history I will probably not use it substantially.
on 24 August 2012
Bad points: About 4 cm in width so not the easiest thing to carry round. Takes ages to read as chaps long with lots of (sometimes unnecessary) detail. To get around this I suggest underlining or writing summaries of the chapter sections.
Good points: This was a key book for my course and we had to read certain chaps every week and if you keep it up it really dose help to give you a good overview and you remember things much easier. Plainly written so simple to understand, covers a lot of areas and key for revision (for me one exam was multiple choice Q's based on answers in the book).
on 1 December 2015
Book arrived with half of the pages stuck together with something disgusting, of no use whatsoever so went in the bin , waste of time and money 👎
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 5 April 2016
I used this as my core text for University module. It was a great, easy read, ideal for someone with limited knowledge of American History. I found myself wanting to learn more and more about most subjects and this was a perfect spring-board. Referenceable, so ideal for college students. Great condition and well worth buying, rather than relying on library loans.
on 10 October 2012
Excellent book! Bought this in second year of degree and is an excellent starting point to the history of america giving a detailed understanding of the USA from start till present day. Would recommend this to modern history students in a-level and degree level
on 17 October 2014
Really insightful of American history. A wealth of knowledge packed into this book, which I found very useful for university. Explores a wide range of themes throughout America's founding. Very well written and concise.
on 31 October 2016
Great read for an overview on american history
on 18 February 2015
Very good condition, pleased with this order
on 11 May 2015
EXCELLENT
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
The Ultimate Book on American History!