on 2 June 2017
I have given this book three stars as I just couldn't finish it. I just found it difficult to follow but this may well be my ignorance rather than the authors fault.
on 8 June 2017
Tedious with a lot of waffling about the same thing in difficult to interpret jargon.
I may dip in and outhe to finish listening to the book.
on 1 October 2017
Another great book by Dan Siegel. I value his input enormously as a psychotherapist in private practice.
on 3 April 2017
Thanks
on 5 March 2017
Absolutely loved it!
on 15 February 2013
I am reading this book a chapter at a time because it gives you a lot to reflect on and consider. This book will be very useful in my work.
on 8 February 2012
Simply a great buy, as it explains the multiple and overlapping scientific fields which now form the foundation of 'counselling & psychotherapy' - in a readable (book) or engaging (CD) conversational format. It is not too much of a technical textbook for all it's 'science' and in many ways is an inspirational read. My students have found it understandable and useful - not just for the production of assessed work, but also for their personal development. Look up his other works, for the application of these groundbreaking ideas in, for example, parenting or mental health.
on 10 November 2013
This is a very valuable handbook for therapists dealing everyday with the wounded of mind and spirit in our world. It provides a clearly set out theoretical framework based on recent developments in neuroscience (and carefully noting where these are still more speculative than established) as well as a lifetime of clinical practice.
Using a simple visual model of a plane on the x axis - or for the mathematically uncomfortable, let us say a suspended piece of wood, he shows how we can all move quickly from that plane of possibility up any one of many peaks to certainty of action, with a corresponding physical response below the plane (wood). When we reach the peak, we act in one specific way. If we move too quickly from plane to peak, we jump to conclusions, and are not open to other possibilities. Our capacity to see where our clients may be coming from may be blinded by our sitting on one summit far from their consciousness. He reminds us that there is no 'immaculate perception', that we all see things through our own lens of experience and training, but that we can by specific training develop our capacities to be more attuned and open to others' consciousness by better understanding and regulating ourselves.
He introduces a series of mindfulness exercises to be practices with the book, as he takes us through each aspect of development of mindsight - how we sense and shape energy and information flow in our lives, outlining each exercise, its relationship to a specific skill to be developed and the brain science which may underpin what is happening.
It is written clearly and the illustrations are good (I have the Kindle edition).
I will be reading and rereading this book. Buy it!
on 22 June 2013
Essential reading for all healthcare students and ongoing reflection with deep learning. Common sense with compassion and experience, based on neuro-biological evidence and knowledge.
on 13 February 2016
I'm working both on Mindfullness in another book so it's good to get another view ... So each of us are also therapists