on 17 May 2010
I want to say that while trauma itself can be very confusing I found the writing in this book transparently clear. I experienced that clarity as pleasurably reassuring and an aid to helpful learning.
The authors' tone came over to me as firm, calm, kindly and respectful. And that is healing in itself.
The structure of this book seems to me to develop organically and to touch on many, many aspects of trauma with sensible, authentic, experienced advice. And some of that advice challenges assumptions about the treatment of trauma.
I once heard a surgeon say of a new type of medical prosthesis that "it is easy to design something complicated but not something simple. I think this book has the elegance of the simple and I would have loved to have it when I first developed PTS. A very well done to Babette.
on 11 March 2010
This book is a revelation to those of us who have lived with the effects of trauma without realising its true impact. Using this highly practical and sensitively written book I have managed to write my own recovery plan and after many years of emotional and physical pain, at last feel empowered to move forward.
The puzzle of what happens to the body when trauma takes charge and the lasting and devastating effects of unresolved trauma are explained beautifully in this truly life-changing book.
The author is to be congratulated for finding a way through the complexity of trauma and putting down on paper the possibility of a way out of the maze.
I heartily recommend this to any reader who has tried in vain to live well with the after-effects of trauma and to all relevant professionals and friends who could use a wise and expert guide to help them understand the problems post-traumatic stress can generate.
on 13 June 2017
Great book, supported my practice in therapy and gave some really good insights into trauma, weather your reading it as a book, or a professional
on 31 May 2017
Fantastic and insightful!
on 24 September 2016
The best psychologist
on 5 May 2016
Definitely recommend.
on 18 May 2017
Brilliant resource for working with trauma.
on 15 October 2010
This is a great book that was recomended to me by my psychologist.
EMDR was new to me, but the book has helped along with the EMDR work I am receiving at the moment. The book is broken down into managable chapters with case studies included that help to illustrate the methods the authour advocates. I feel that after years of suffering from PTSD this book has really helped me to begin to start dealing with trauma.
on 19 April 2010
If you only ever buy one trauma recovery book, make it this one! This book has changed my life. For the first time I feel safe, present and confident that - with these 8 strategies - I can direct my own healing. I wholeheartedly recommend 'The 8 Keys' to anyone affected by / working with trauma.
on 27 November 2010
Great to have a book designed for people who have experienced trauma and useful for those working with Post Traumatic Stress. Babette writes clearly and straightforwardly to help people to better manage their body's arousal system, which can go 'out of kilter' post trauma, and take back control. A useful and empowering book. Highly recommended, along with her other books on this subject.