on 11 October 2014
For coaches and anyone seeking a better way to deal with their issues, this is an excellent book. It is full of practical ideas, well written and easy to read. I love the emphasis on focusing on positive solutions all the time and not getting into analysis. I love the simple idea of, "invite the client to do something different by asking what would be the simplest thing to start with, and what would be the easiest thing to actually do?"

DaviI love this book now as I have always loved it. An inspiration! When I read the words, "People will go to a lot of trouble to learn French or physics or scuba diving. They have the patience to learn to operate a car but they won't be bothered learning how to operate themselves," it sparked the question in my mind: "just how do I operate myself?" It took me several years to find an answer, but once I had it a revolution took place in the way that I coach my clients and write about personal development.

David Ferrers, author of SWAP, The Best Way to Make Your Dreams Come True
on 7 December 2015
Very good book, it really helped me...
on 24 July 2006
This book presents a simple and effective approach for coaching: the solution-focused approach. Together with her husband and their team Insoo Kim Berg co-originated this approach many years ago. First, it developed within the field of psychotherapy. Now, it is spreading throughout institutions like schools, business organizations, and consultancy firms.

This coaching approach is highly goal-focused and respectful. The great thing is it often works very fast, hence the book title "brief coaching". After reading this book, every coaching will be able to understand the method and to start applying many of its principles. But becoming really good at it requires a lot of practise and discipline.

To my knowledge this is the first book in whicht the solution-focused principles are presented for an audience of coaches. I can't think of any two people more suited for delivering this message to that audience. Insoo is one of the people who invented this approach and Peter is an experienced coach. They succeeded quite well in writing an accessible and interesting book.

Coert Visser
8 people found this helpful
on 11 December 2007
This book is required reading for any coach. It is rare to come across such an elegantly written, wise and helpful book that presents with clarity what exactly effective coaches do and how they do it. In a field full of band-aid type fixes and ego-stroking hype it's refreshing to read a book that offers so much.

If you are interested in improving your coaching skills you need this.
3 people found this helpful