on 10 December 2017
Ver interesting account of a very dark period
on 25 July 2016
Oh boy! Don't you have to be careful what you say or write in life & I don't mean Mr Edsel! We rented lodge of a villa near Spoleto when we went to festival - could it have been the repository? We know Borgheses & Puccis. This is a difficult book to write but extremely interesting as it goes some way to answering lots of things I've often thought about! I'd advise reading his other book first which became The Monuments Men: Allied Heroes, Nazi Thieves & the Greatest Treasure Hunt in History - see elsewhere on my Profile page. I was at school with Bernard Berenson's niece & see elsewhere on my Profile page for books on Duveen & my mother's interest in him! (My current thoughts would be:- have all the repositories be located? Didn't they find one a year or two ago in Poland?)
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 4 February 2014
I saw this book for sale in the Uffizzi in Florence, read the spiel on the reverse and assumed it was a book about lost treasures and the recovery of the same from the Nazis. I bought the book looking forward to reading the detail of the art and found another book which was mostly about the war and it rarely kept my interest.

Yes the book does cover the lost works of art but its a mess. factually incorrect in that it ignores the difference between Great Britain/United kingdom and England, has a bias towards the American role in the war - there are assertions that the "English" bombed without care and the Americans were precise so how can you take this book seriously when these facts are bent in the favour of the Americans. makes you winder how much of the book is made up or guesswork or was it predominantly written for an American audience.

i did find some facts interesting but all in all a wasted opportunity to present what should have been an unbiased history of the art thefts in Italy.
22 Comments| 10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 20 November 2013
Exhaustively researched; poorly written; and factually deficient when facts would get in the way of presenting Americans as saviours of the world's art.
33 Comments| 10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 31 March 2014
Saw the film The Monuments Men first . The book provides a more in depth explanation of what these people really did to protect the treasures of Italy . I have spent a lot of time in Italy & have seen the vast majority of the arts & treasures of this country that the war & Nazis tried to either destroy or steal for the FuhrerMuseum or there own private collections.The insight into the efforts of everyone involved is heart warming & gratifying , & I for one am grateful to these people for all the wonderful experiences I have had , due to them . Recommended.
on 21 November 2013
Having read Robert Edsel's earlier book Monuments Men which I thoroughly enjoyed I followed up with Saving Italy - It is very hard to believe that during World War II so many artefacts, monuments & paintings were stolen from so many private homes, museums etc. and placed into the hands of the German Nazis (and stashed away in caves). It is wonderful to think that an "army" of selected people were chosen to infiltrate countries in Europe (both towards the end of the war and afterwards) to find the masses of artefacts and return to their various owners and/or museums. Obviously large numbers of paintings etc. still remain lost and even in todays 20th century era paintings (in particular) are suddenly appearing after so many lost years. Very interesting reading and a lesson to learn from the aftermath of the second world war - Annabel
on 3 January 2014
Notwithstanding its absurd title this is a most fascinating and important book. I read it with rapt attention. Having admired the excellent books on the Italian Renaissance by Professor Frederick Hartt it was illuminating to read of his major role in saving great works of art during the Second World War.

The books is beautifully printed on high quality paper.
on 17 April 2014
The movie about the Monuments Men based on the companiosn to this book has had poor reviews. This is v sad as the story is such an important and exciting one. thsi goes with the book about the art looting in Northern Europe by the same author which is I think called the Momuments Men.
on 16 March 2015
Brilliant, just brilliant. Full of an incredible story about not only the race to save the cultural icons of a nation but also the efforts to bring the war to a close. Highly illuminating on many aspects of the war I had no idea about.
on 21 April 2014
Thoroughly enjoyable read. Having read Monument Men it was a very good follow on. I now look forward to seeing the film