on 23 April 2016
This book should be compulsory reading for everyone. It is extremely clear and easy in style to read and very non judgemental. It doesn't assign blame onto mothers but simply seeks to define what a difficult mother is and how that influences her children. It's quite broad in its scope so if you're looking for something very specific (on NPD mothers for eg) it probably won't be enough on its own.

But if you're looking to understand that niggling sense of a mother seeming to only challenge a child negatively, it's excellent. I imagine it is a reassuring read for mothers who wonder if they aren't doing enough if they don't do it all for their child and I also expect it would a useful book for anyone trying to understand a friend, spouse or family member's relationship with their mother that you just don't quite understand and think they should be able to just get past.

It's also got a superb bibliography with more suggestions for more reading around the subject. I just about doubled my Wishlist after seeing it, including several more by the same author. Highly recommended!
on 13 May 2014
.. to say I identified with this and I bought it out of frustration but it's really clear to read, not only makes me feel better through identification, but also guides me towards some positives for once. Most self help books sort of demonise the source of your issues.. but I liked the way this tried to take the positives from it. Definitely would recommend for the children of frustrating mothers!
on 6 April 2016
I have already got a number of books on the subject, this book is so far the best. Well structured, Straight forward, sympathetic, easy to follow, relevant.
on 19 November 2013
This book is well written and is a quick and easy read but left me open-mouthed. I have used the insights it gave me to improve almost all my relationships. Thoroughly recommended, even if you don't think you have or are a difficult mother.
on 9 October 2014
Very well written and very helpful. I definitely recommend for people who have a difficult relationship with their mothers - it's worth reading. It opened my eyes to a lot of things and helped me come to terms with my own mother's difficult relationship.
on 1 May 2017
It is an excellent read for any person who struggles to come to terms or understand with their own mothers, wherever they are critical, egotistical or else.
Rest assured- there is a glimpse of hope at the end of a tunnel!
on 13 December 2014
Well Written and theory is conveyed in simple easy to understand language
on 14 September 2015
Very informative and a useful read, albeit more academic than a practical 'how to live with such a mother (mother in law) ' guide.
on 9 October 2014
Thoughtful insightful book, based on real life experiences invaluable to get a balanced view of the mother child relationship difficulties with good solutions.
on 19 May 2016
This bookmark me realize that I am not a bad daughter and that I will never get it right for my mother due to her warped state of mind And although.things between us will ever change at least I know why