Customer reviews

Love & Will
Format: Paperback|Change

on 24 March 1997
Rollo May merges psychology with philosophy to put contemporary views on love, sex and happiness in perspective. With insight that draws upon centuries of great thinkers, May points out some subtle paradoxes that being in love creates. He examines how our intentions often have to be redirected in order to get what we desire, and by that time, we forget what it was that we were after. Love and Will is no self-help book with fluffy answers or advice. It is an attempt to reconcile our emotions with our actions, ambitious as it is illuminating.
on 19 May 2013
It's amazing how relevant it still feels. Started to read it expecting to get some insights into the development of humanistic and existential psychotherapy, but this book gave me so much more. Many of his critical observations on society and the problems of modern man, seem to be even more acutely relevant to postmodern or postpostmodern man, or whatever we should call our age. His thoughts about love are especially full of such critical analyses of how social and cultural attitudes make it hard for us to love.
His thoughts on will were even more exciting, since it really opened my ideas to a sensible way of thinking about will. If this was possible to be written in the sixties, all that nonsense that so called philosophers wrote about the problems of free will since really becomes utterly inexcusable.
on 18 January 2017
A well written & informative book. I don't know why Rollo May isn't more widely known? Not many people know of his work. Thus ius my second reading of this book & I enjoyed it even more than the first.
on 7 February 2014
I agree with another reviewer here when they say this is the best book they have ever read. I am not an avid reader of psychoanalytical texts and somehow I tapped into this by instinct. This is so well written. His use of language is so accessible and free of the turgid vocabulary of many philosophical and psychological texts.

If you need a reminder of what it is that makes us human in this increasingly confusing world, (and he wrote this when the world was not yet digitalised) do yourself a big favour and read this NOW.
on 21 September 2017
100% ok
on 29 December 2014
perfect
on 13 July 1998
Simply stated, this is the most intelligent book I have ever read. Rollo May goes to extrordinary lengths to dissect the misunderstood concept of love. He traces love from the Greeks to modern day. Each page challenges the reader to rethink his/her superficial understanding of love. The author's case studies from his own psychoanalytic practice provide relevant examples of how the values of modern society have reduced love to a physical act of gratification. Anyone interested in improving themselves as a human being must read this very challenging and thought provoking book.
on 22 February 2011
This book has open an immense area of knowledge to me and made me address a lot of my views and beliefs. I feel I am growing more as a person and I am really enjoying the philosophy and ideas in this book. Great book for anybody who strives to broden their horizons!!! This book can be challenging at times, the language is sometimes difficult but the meaning comes through strongly anyway. Wonderful book!!!
on 8 March 2014
Very good style and content. A useful reference book as well as an interesting read for entertainment. Would recommend it.