on 7 March 2004
Let me first say that I'm glad I bought this book, it really is useful but it does have a major failing. It was only after reading it for a while that I realised something was missing; namely poetry from outside the US. I have rechecked the book and there is hardly any mention of poets in the English language who are not American. Shakespeare does get a mention, they couldn't get away with leaving him out. No Byron, Wordsworth, Rossetti, Hughes, Larkin, Yeats, Keats, Spencer, Chaucer, Heaney, Housman and so on. Quite how you can expect to teach poetry without referencing this rich legacy I don't know. However, the authors do provide sound technical advice and there are lots of exercises to try.
on 20 July 1999
This terrific handbook contains not only logical and stimulating discussions of the subjects and styles that make up poetry--it also has a treasuretrove of writing exercises, a la Hugo's "triggering town," that spur on even a poet in a lethargic phase to experiment in a wide range of poetic possibilities. The suggestions for writing are some of the best I've ever seen; I'll be using many of them in my teaching.
Functional AND entertaining. With this book by your side, there's no excuse not to Write On.
on 13 November 2015
I deeply regret wasting money on this mundane book. The advice is compromised by using such unimaginative and plodding little poems. They are dull and ordinary and I would expect a writer of an advice book to pick the best as examples of writing better. Then again, these might be the best of contemporary poetry. They are like the uninreresting and senescent tosh chosen in the sleepy literary journals like the Times Literary Supplement or Literary Review. In fact most of these would gt in the Gurdian's Saturday Poem feature. The writers seem to write from a template as the poems are all the same. You will only learn from this book if you can bear to read the examples provided and I cannot.
on 24 August 1998
The Poet's Companion is one of the best reference books I have seen for the craft of writing poetry. Whether you are a student or a seasoned poet, this book should be on your desk.
on 20 November 2012
Generally dissappoimted, very americanised, with little of interest to me as a poet. With hindsight I certainly would not have bought it. However the price was cheap so little harm done.
I have to say that the emerging news of Amazons tax avoidance measures in the UK will ensure that I avoid any further Amazon purchases until they rectify their tax affairs with regard to the UK.
There are plenty of other sources of supply.
on 14 June 2014
An excellent, and lively companion I frequently return to; does what it says and more and now use it as my go-to manual.
on 27 January 2013
I love this book. It covers so many aspects of poetry writing and is written clearly with examples and exercises. Great!
on 12 June 1999
One of the best guides for writing poetry out there. If you want to write well buy this book
on 9 July 2014