Format: Paperback|Change

on 8 January 2010
This was on our reading lists for first year psychology but I continued to use the book throughout my psychology course and now again use it in teaching for revision. The book covers the basics and although other reviews argue that it is a bit simplistic I feel it is a general book which cannot cover all topics inside out and therefore completely fulfils its purpose in helping the student cover the basics and ensuring a good level of understanding. If you want to go more in depth you would look into journals or specific titles regarding your topic.

It is an easy book to read and explains theories which could be hard to grasp in a simplistic way, avoiding using too much jargon. Certainly one of the best psychology books I have come across.
on 7 April 2011
This is the psychology book of your dreams!This is the book which made me decide that i want to become a psychologist(which was a hard decision since i am an engineer).The authors ask some profound philosophical questions which beckon you to explore psychology further.At no point do they claim that they(or psychology)have all the answers but they've tried to do full justice to the richness and complexity of human behavior and life.I've read three other introductory texts besides this one and none of them comes close to the brilliance of this one.Why?This is intelligent writing at it's very best.Any psychology intro book can give you the relevant information to crack an exam but to package it as well as the authors of this one have done is a rare art indeed.All the relevant concepts have been made crystal clear with unique and pertinent examples.In every chapter,you find examples from the arts(movies/books/music/everyday life etc)that make the content relatable.There is also an online website which accompanies the text wonderfully.You can take quizzes,learn more,watch videos,review what you've studied and so on.The writing itself is so high quality that you won't be bored even when you revisit the book's pages to study for your exams.I bought the eighth edition even though i already had the seventh edition just because i was curious to see how they'd improve upon the earlier edition.Buy it,spend time with it,learn from it and even if you don't touch other intro texts you'll be far ahead of those who couldn't lay their hands on this one.It's not even about competing with others,reading the book itself is so intrinsically rewarding.If you've ever pondered about the deep mysteries of the human mind or if you are someone who appreciates good writing(movies or the arts)then look no further.This is the psychology book for you.My personal favorite was the chapter on Language(written by Mrs Gleitman).
on 12 October 2000
To say that this is too simplistic is very unfair to both book and author. It is easy to understand and this is mostly due to how well written it is. Highly recommended!
on 15 June 2009
First of all, this book is huge, both in dimensions, weight and content of varied information. I bought it to have something interesting to read that would introduce me to the topic of psychology and am not disappointed a single bit :)
Reading it, I felt like I was back in junior high school, when books were big, interesting, with clearly stated chapters and problems and with heaps of colorful illustrations, diagrams and comparison tables. (this being written from the perspective of a college student, who encounters only highly specific and mostly, dull-written text).
It's written in a very informative and straightforward way, maybe not going into depth but that, in my opinion, is a good point - it is not intended as a specific scientific study resource, but something to keep you amused, while providing lots of interesting facts.

It was a little hard for me to settle on one topic and read it all - instead, I often found myself flipping through the pages only to get my attention caught by some of the many interesting facts.

Well done to the authors - a highly approachable book that, nevertheless, delivers as an overall introductory material.
on 8 December 2015
Brilliant introductory Psychology book. I'm just starting a conversion course and this has provided me with all the basics. The style of writing is good (especially considering I find many psychology books unreadable!) and it has loads of pictures throughout which really help illustrate the points and keep it looking interesting. It covers a wide amount of topics and is an excellent reference book.
And as a final bonus, the hardback version is beautiful so looks good on my coffee table!
on 10 October 2000
Covers the basics but not in enough depth. I'm in my first year at Uni, and most of us tend to think that it's a bit too simplistic. It's easy read, but there are better books such as Richard Gross
on 24 March 2014
This book is useless. It is advertised as being a core text book for 1st year Psychology students at Bangor University. It is a terribly boring and over simplified book that will not help you. If you really feel the need to purchase it, buy it for £1 at a university book sale, as current students will be desperate to get rid of it.
on 14 March 2011
I strongly suggest this book to whoever needs to acquire background in psychology. This book is an absolute easy read, with lots of attractive colorful pictures which help the reader understand the introduced concepts much better. I would say the authors have done their best to provide the students an enjoyable study time.
on 1 October 2004
I have just finished first year at uni and was told by my department that i must buy this book for first year. I hardly used it. The content is not very in depth at all, so its not much use for writing essays, as you end up having to get a million better books out of the libary.
Some reviewers have said its great for beginners and good at spliting topics down into sections for revision, however they obviously have not read many psychology text books! If you are new to the subject there are much better books out there (in terms of content and layout) - for example try Nicky Hayes 'The Foundations of Psychology'.
on 23 August 2010
Used this during my first year Psychology degree - great guide for a range of topics but will need to be supplemented with further reading.
Only down side, there can be a lot of 'waffle' and personal opinions from the writers. Good broad views covered across the topics and can direct to helpful case studies for further reading.