on 24 July 2015
A book about Shakespeare and his plays - an Englishmen who spoke and wrote in English; a pity then that those who complied this epitaph to such a great man could use the most basic English in its creation.
Henry V has a letter 'P' wherever a 'B' should be, there are also many other literal and semantic errors; the reason this edition cannot be used in its native land is that it is full of errors, errors that no serious academic should be known to have put their names to!

it is an expensive book of errors and 'loose' fact, use with caution!
One person found this helpful
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 11 May 2014
I bought this for my university course and I really wanted to rate it 1 star because of how heavy it is, but that wouldn't be fair. Afterall, it works really well as a doorstop, too. It's got all the plays I need, so I can't really complain (too much)!

Onto the downsides:
- It's heavy, as I said, but that's unavoidable so I can overlook that
- The paper is super thin like Bible paper, but again I guess it needs to be to fit everything in it
- It's super expensive, especially for a student
- Because it's so heavy and the paper so thin, it's pretty easy to damage (especially when used to hold open heavy doors). I guess buying it in hardback would help a lot, but that would make it even heavier and be even more expensive so maybe not.

In summary - if you need the works of Shakespeare for university because you're studying English, then go ahead and buy it! If you're buying this just because you want all of Shakespeare's works (and not for studying) I would imagine there are other, more durable collections. If you're not yet at university level but need it for GCSE/A-Level, I'd only recommend if you plan on studying English at degree level too, because otherwise you won't get enough use out of it for the hefty price tag.
3 people found this helpful
on 17 September 2011
This is an absolute doorstep of a book. Not only does it have the complete works of Shakespeare including the sonnets but many other texts too: critical essays, sources etc. It's a set book for the OU course AA306 and can be taken into the exam (as of this date 18/09/11). Once the module is over it should stay on the shelf as a permanent reference to everything that is William Shakespeare.
7 people found this helpful
on 14 December 2011
The sheer size of this book is a little daunting at first, but it is invaluable as part of study on Shakespeare's Text & Performance OU course. I can certainly see myself referring to it time and again in the future for gems of info on Shakespeare and from a reference to the history of that time. I would recommend it to anyone who wants to understand more about Shakespeare and his works and times and is not necessarily just for University students, but would suit a wider audience who are not put off by a book that can double as a door-stop.
on 15 September 2014
It is very heavy and yet the pages are very thin, in fact so thin that you worry about tearing them. It does though provide the whole of Shakespeare in one volume for a reasonable price. Not only that it gives you the alternate versions of Hamlet and King Lear which is useful. The essays are also pretty good, it just not that user friendly,
on 25 October 2014
This scarily huge book is required reading for my English Lit course. It is quite overwhelming. But I found the prefaces and play specific info very useful and surprisingly accessible. The font is pretty small.
on 5 August 2015
Nice and was used for study. Quite thin and easily damaged in a bag. But otherwise the purpose was fine.
on 25 February 2013
This a fabulous book! Every single Shakespeare play, as well as all of his sonnets, in one 'handy' volume (although perhaps handy isn't the right term!) Each play is replete with textual notes and footnotes explaining the complexities and intricacies of the language, making it the perfect - and obvious - accompaniment to any Shakespeare course. It is a set book for the Open University.
on 20 December 2013
My son needed this for his University exam, and couldnt have done without it - huge thick book - have no idea what hes going to do with it now though?
on 27 April 2013
Fantastic resource, well edited. I paid for the paperback version as I thought it was very expensive, but the pages are wafer thin and the book is extremely heavy. I would recommend the hardback copy if you can afford it.
One person found this helpful