on 10 August 2012
The first book of Palahniuk that I read was "Survivor". I am from Greece so I read it translated in greek. Maybe that was my mistake. I hate it, it was really boring.
So I was quite reluctant to buy another Palahniuk book. But I 've read so many good reviews about "Invisible Monsters" that I decided to give it a try. In English this time...

I was in one word thrilled! I couldn't put the book down but on the other hand I didn't want it to end. An excellent book, a unique story, narrated in a great way. The "back and forth" way of telling the story, the "jump to where" Palahniuk's technique is really something. This way you don't know where the story ends. You keep reading chapters, jumping from the beginning to the end of the book and you have no clue where or how the story will end. And a word of advice. The author tells you to mark with an X all the pages that you 've read in order not to miss one. He says that he wishes you will be lost and confused. Believe me, he means it!

About the story now. This book is all about beauty and how people treat beautiful and ugly people. How vain extremely beautiful people behave and being treated. It's all about making a new start out of a disaster. Palahniuk's plot is strange and full of surprises. You think you know what happened but you don't. And when you say "oooh now I got it! This is what happened!", probably you are wrong again...

To cut a long story short: A highly recommended book! A strange story, a unique narration, a surprisingly good book!
on 13 November 2015
Likes: That signature dark humour condensed into bizarre lines that really 'pop' off the page and make you think how messed up these characters are!
Dislikes:
Not Chuck's best. Having read 'Haunted' and 'Choke', both of which I loved, this was a bit of an anti-climax after reading positive reviews.
Many readers say that the first one of his books you read is often your favourite, maybe this holds true if you read this book first.
The 'JUMP TO...' page numbering seemed slightly pointless, as you could just print the chapters in the same order as they are read in this 'remix' version. Overall, I would say, read this if you are a completist or a HUGE Chuck nut!
on 8 July 2016
The way you have to read the book reminds of the give-yourself-goosebump books but it is completely unique. I'd recommend this to anyone and if you like Panic at the Disco you'll notice several things that have been used in their songs.
on 22 February 2016
It was pretty enjoyable but surprisingly trashy. It started strong but got increasingly contrived as it went along, and by the end the whole thing just felt a bit pointless.
on 24 May 2013
Want to also get the paper copy, as the flicking backwards and forwards will be more satisfying with an actual book, but even with the jumps on the kindle, was definitely impressed.