on 6 April 2017
I combination of great choice of product to buy, and from whom I bought it from. Seller highly recommended.
on 7 April 2017
Alice finds herself within an atom, talks to electrons and other particles and many phantasyful creatures & has many adventures in Quantumland. Essential features of the quantum world are laid out by Robert Gilmore, and all is written clear and very accessible. It is about the basic concepts of Quantum theory seen by the allegory of Alice in Wonderland with a little feeling of Flatland. Should & could be interesting for readers from twelve years on. Physics made fun and entertaining, recommended.
on 15 June 1998
I am a 15yr old student and didn't really know anything about Quantum Physics - other than that it was supposed to be really difficult, complex and beyond the average person's intelligence. This book taught me quite a lot and I found it interesting(which can't be said for a lot of physics books) and informative. The only problem was that when I got to the last page, there was still more that I didn't really understand - as if there should have been more pages, it inspired me to find out more about the subject as well. I think that this book definetly deserves all five stars.
on 16 October 2011
My dad was reading this, and he told me about some of the quantum concepts in the book when I was 16. Fascinated, I picked it up and started reading when it was lying around the house. It is not a mathematical book, but it will introduce confusing concepts in a way that you can start to understand. This was the book that made me decide I wanted to study physics at university, an excellent read.
on 11 April 2000
This book manages to carry off the near impossible trick of succeeding on two levels: For those who are already familiar with the science in provides a superbly entertaining pastiche of the original - together with clarification of things we THOUGHT we understood before. On the other side however when used as a means of gently introducing the very non-intuitive ideas of quantum physics to (for example) a school physics class, it manages to convey the basic facts and fundamental strangeness of the quantum world to a group who would have run a mile at the sight of the Schrodinger equation. Brilliant...
on 17 November 1999
Alice in Quantumland is a fantastic Book for anyone who wants to understand the mysteries of Quantium Physics, but dosn't think they are intelligent enough to read along with the professors. It presents the mysteries of the universe in a (fairly)simple, easy to read format, and there are 'footnotes' at the bottom of many pages to explain further (although you may want a scientific dictionary some of the time!!). An all-round good book.
on 28 January 1999
The Alice in Wonderland metaphor fits the subject perfectly and Gilmore does a fantastic job of catching the tone and feel of the original. He manages to make many subtle concepts understandable in an entertaining manner. Everyone in our family has read it and enjoyed it, even those who don't normally like science texts. I highly recommend it to anyone who wants an overview of Quantum Physics!
on 7 March 2001
This book is exceptional. Gilmore has a great skill of manipulating various everyday situations and then showing them in a quantumland that allows the reader to comprehend this complex and obscure idea, that is normally very hard to understand. I also recommend that other one by him about Mr Tompkins holiday or something to explain the complex ideas about relativity.
on 4 March 1998
I had attempted to read several writings geared toward introduction to quantum theories and practices,without any real understanding of what was being said. Then I stumbled across this book, and with it's easy to follow format and great illustrations of ideas, I now have an understanding I can apply to the previously read works. This book has proven invaluable to my studies and I would recommend it to anyone who has an interest in this field of study. It is informative and makes the information easier to retain with amusing visual memory aides.
on 31 December 1998
When my son was ten, I read this to him as bedtime reading. We had a LOT of laughs. It's a great way to get the feel of quantum mechanics and have fun at the same time.