Showing 1-3 of 3 reviews(3 star). See all 28 reviews
on 11 February 2015
This book should be colorful inside, but it is gray colors.
on 14 June 2007
This new book by Chris Bishop covers most areas of pattern recognition quite exhaustively. The author is an expert, this is evidenced by the excellent insights he gives into the complex math behind the machine learning algorithms. I have worked for quite some time with neural networks and have had coursework in linear algebra, probability and regression analysis, and hence found some of the stuff in the book quite illuminating.

But that said, I must point out that the book is very math heavy. Inspite of my considerable background in the area of neural networks, I still was struggling with the equations. This is certainly not the book that can teach one things from the ground up, and thats why I would give it only 3 stars. I am new to kernels, and I am finding the relevant chapters quite confusing. For those who want to build powerful machine learning solutions to their problems, I am sorry but they will have to look elsewhere. This book cant help you build an application, another serious drawback in my opinion. The intended audience for this book I guess are PhD students/researchers who are working with the math related aspects of machine learning, and not undergraduates or working professionals who want to write machine learning code for their applications/projects.
11 Comment| 52 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 July 2007
..don't like the writing style. Fewer equations and more explanations would have made it a better book.