Format: Paperback|Change

on 24 September 2004
This book is something special! It may have an unusual story line and a sequence of strange and unexpected events, but that is what makes this book really good. It tells the story of obsessive teenager Lori Cranston and the mysterious murderer Eric Poole who she has fallen for. There are some twists in the storyline and I have to disagree with the previous person who reviewed this book, saying the ending was a let down. It was unexpected, and I found myself thinking 'no, it isn't meant to end like that', but it reflects the message the author is putting across very well: life isn't straight cut. If you want a read to remember, choose this book. I know it will stick with me forever. Fantastic!
on 5 February 2004
I was looking for a book on obesession (for a school project)and what I found in this book, Tenderness, was a lot more than I had expected. The way Robert Cormier gets deep into the thoughts of the 15 year old Lori Cranston is borderline creepy. It is a really good book if you don't mind a little creepiness and a lot of weird emotions. The ending however is a different story. The book getss 5 stars, the ending gets 1. I was completely UN-satisfied with the ending, it was not at all how I hoped things would end. However the book is really good and I recommend it to anyone who doesn't mind knowing what screwed up teenage girls think about.
on 5 February 2000
Fixated from the moment she saw him, teenager lori feels a desperate need to meet Eric Poole. Having gone through life, using her sexuality as her best asset, all she wants is tenderness. Eric Poole, a convicted murderer, at first is suspicious of the evasive young girl, but as they dodge the law, they grow closer together, and find that tenderness can be found in most unexpected places. Tenderness is a must read book, that will stay with you through life, and will always have a special corner of your heart captivated by its originality and sheer beauty.
on 13 September 2005
I remember the first time I read this book, I thought I will never forget it and I haven't. This is a fantastic book, the two main characters are well written and I even found myself shocked at the end. Though the end was not how I thought it would end I liked it as it shows that not everything in life goes the way we plan it. The end was critised but I have to disagree, for the reason stated above. I will not reveal too much as I don't want to spoil the end. I feel this book is a must read, from the first page I couldn't put it down.
on 13 July 2008
i liked the way the same events are told through two different characters - Lori and Eric.
This book is definately a page turner and kept me interested throughout.
I couldn't quite understand the characters' actions at times and I felt many images weren't original enough, but all in all I found the story very satisfying.
Cormier is a great storyteller and this is a sad and dark story.I found some parts disturbing to read.
I've given it three stars because, while I enjoyed it, I don't think it's as far reaching as Cormier's other books. It's ultimately about obsession and two people's different, upsetting, ideas of Tenderness.
I prefered 'Fade' but I still think this is worth reading.
on 5 September 2000
i thought, being a teenager, that this book was most suitable for people my age.... i think it is set more for female because you get that sense of loss and trying to seek something... we all have fixations and such like.... and this book really captures the imagination.... i enjoyed this book immensely... and i would recommend it to anyone between the ages of 15 and 17.
on 5 January 2007
I first read this story when I was a young teenager and I have never forgotten it. This book is a testament to Robert Cormier and reading as a whole. The ending is neither disappointing nor out of touch with the rest of a novel, it is fitting and ironic.

I would really recommend this book to everyone.