on 9 August 2015
This book they funny and makes me want to read on . This book is for children but can also be for adults who want a laugh .
on 23 April 2013
My son is 9 years old, he received this book just over 48 hours ago and is already half way through the book. He loves it and wants to read it at every opportunity. He keeps telling me about amusing events in the book. I highly recommend it. This was recommended by a school friend and seems to be a hit in the class. We also bought Dave Shelton's 'Good Dog Bad Dog' and my son also loves that, great humour through out.
on 2 June 2012
You can judge this book by its cover for both inside and out are witty, deceptively simple and charming.

The title tells all for it is from beginning to end about a boy and a bear in a boat. It's also about growing up, trust, parenting, optimism and all sorts of others things I probably won't realise until I have read it a few more times. I've cherished Richard Bach's Illusions for most of my life and I class this alongside it. I know I'll be recommending it to friends and rereading it myself again and again.
on 2 November 2014
A nice book. The two character's, the boy and the bear each set sail to sea with the bear (captain) rowing his boat. They have several anomalies along their way. I found the story a little long but enjoyable with a sense of humour helping it along. The front cover gives a great insight; along with the brilliant illustrations into the trouble found out at sea.
on 13 June 2016
A simple yet beautifully told story book. My 8 yo recommended it to me and I loved it. You never know what is going to happen next to the boy and a bear on a boat. It's beauty is you can recommend it to all ages, it could be a metaphor for so much more and the illustrations are timely and striking too.This book should be as loved as The Gruffalo.
on 11 August 2016
A brilliant book. I loved it and was trailing it for my 8-9 year old class. Loads of great literacy potential activities with this read. Images are great. Characters are amusing together. Would definitely recommend and I have passed this on to loads of friends and children.
on 6 December 2014
It is most refreshing in the way the story takes its time and the friendship develops. I like both characters and the language used. Dufficult words get explained as the conversation develops. It is an enriching story and also has some moments of drama and excitement.
on 7 August 2012
A few months ago, a friend of mine bought my 8 year old daughter Dave SHelton's "A Boy and a Bear in a Boat". AT 290 pages, it's certainly one of the longer kids' books out there, and so it took until the lat fortnight when we had enough time together to read it start to finish.

This is genuinely one of the best books - never mind children's books - I have ever read. The two of us would welcome bedtime as it gave us a chance to follow more of the seemingly inept Bear and the young boy who learns plenty of life lessons during his voyage with his ursine friend. Beautifully illustrated, "A Boy and a Bear in a Boat" is, in places, laugh out loud funny, particularly when the pair are engaging in 'on-board entertainment' or deciding whether to eat The Very Last Sandwich.

I absolutely loved this book, and you'd have to have a heart of stone not to love it too. Give your child a real treat and read it aloud to them over the next week or two.
on 11 September 2013
We are still reading this book and thoroughly enjoying it. Falling to sleep each night has meant we have enjoyed re-reading chapters again, so that it maintains the suspense of what will happen next. Sure will re-read the whole book. Highly recommend.
on 12 August 2013
I bought this not realising it was written for age 7-12 year olds and thoroughly enjoyed reading it. So much so that I will read it to my boys this week too. Love the illustrations they help bring the characters to life.