Format: Hardcover|Change

on 3 December 2015
Absolutely stunning! Phoenix ranks among the classics in sci-fi and fantasy for considering humankind's relationship to stars and space - that literally, we are all made of the same stuff - but is also a meditation on humanity itself, and not only are we made of star-stuff, we are also all linked - Axxa and human are not as different as anyone thought. This is both a rollicking good read, a sensitive and thoughtful look at what it means to be human in a world increasingly riven by war, and a beautiful artefact. Dave McKean's illustrations make a wonderful story into a modern classic.
on 16 November 2015
My 7 year old daughter loved this and read it as soon as it was released. As it's her favourite book, she is reading it again now a few years later, which is unusual for her, as she has never read a book twice, so this is a testament to SF Said's most recent book.
She loved the 2 Varjak Paw books but says this is even better.

Our only complaint? Bring out more books please SF Said!! We have been waiting for more of his magical books to be released.
on 13 June 2017
Bought this for my 10 year old son and he loved it. We had previously read the two Vajak Paw books, which are also excellent, but he thinks this book is even better. He has since re-read it and has even asked me to read it (I did - it really is good!) so he could talk about it with me. Really lovely book, gripping story, well-written, and beautifully, stunningly, illustrated.
on 17 April 2017
Superb. As ever, masterful artwork from Dave Mckean and a lovely book. Glad I picked up this book .
on 1 February 2017
Brilliant book to fire the imagination. Completely different to Varjak Paw but completely mesmerizing!
on 2 January 2015
Brilliant world building and characters you really care about. A gripping plot and such beautiful writing. This book is wise, original and so full of fresh ideas. I found it thought provoking and moving. I loved it. Great illustrations by the amazing DM too!
on 12 August 2014
Epic, visionary and beautiful. S F Said has written a classic which every part of what it is to be alive and what it takes to be part of the universe. Dave McKean brings his unique view to bear through the most remarkable illustrations of his career. Spread the word, Phoenix deserves a wide audience.
on 16 March 2017
I really enjoyed this book and it is the best book I have ever read. I recommend it to everyone
on 15 April 2016
Great writing, great ideas. Makes a good gift for a young or teen reader.
on 26 April 2017