Format: Hardcover|Change

on 28 May 2015
For more information and communication skills in this case the woods has been the woods and communication technology to help the woods has to be a series of thrones the first time I have to s Amazon kindle for the woods and communication skills are not be
your riot police said the company is looking run the woods has to s your riot the company is a series on the woods has been this case the company has to s your unspung the woods humans and technology that thug the woods has been the woods has been a lot of thrones the first place for unit and the first
on 27 October 2014
I found this book totally boring and extremely repetitive. I kept waiting for thr story to get interesting but sadly it never did. Some of the way in which the characters spoke was utterly ridiculous and unbelievable.
on 29 November 2014
Wow, seen this book was coming out on film and decided to read the book before hand.
The story is based around Mia a 17yr old cellist who is in an accident along with her mother,father and little brother Timmy. The story is based on a time period from when the accident happens and through flashbacks that are making her decision to stay or not. Mia's friends, family and boyfriend Adam all get to visit her with the help of her cousin. With being an orphan Mia thinks it will be easy just to give up and join her mum, dad and brother.
Will Mia stay? I read the ending before I got the book so knew what happened but still got teary eyed despite knowing the outcome. There are funny moments and sad moments but it is worth the read. 🎻🎸🎵🎶
on 19 June 2014
Mia's story is about quite literally a life changing decision should she choose to live or she choose to pass on. If she desides to live she will be an orphan and if she chooses to pass on she leaves behind family, friends and a boyfriend that loves her very much. However, if she chooses to pass on she may be with her parents again. But is that what would her parents would want for her? Or would they want her to live? And if she chooses to pass on will her parents be disappointed that she chose not to live?

I love how this story is told. You learn of the people waiting for her if she wakes through memories that she has of them. How she met her best friend Kim. How she met Adam, the boy who adores her and she adores just as much. You learn of her grandfather and grandmother. You also learn of memories that she has of her parents. How they encouraged her love of classical music despite them hating it. Watching the birth of her brother. Memories she has of them from the stories they told her so vividly she swears that they are her own.

I loved this book. I would suggest it to people who warn a good read that is told from a perspective that you often don't read from. There is a movie coming out in August for this book and I would definitely suggest reading the book before the movie comes out.
on 21 December 2015
This reminded me of the"creative writing" attempted by my year 11 students.All the ingredients:worst enemy becomes best friend, parents and sibling killed in a car accident, boyfriend in a band, nice grandparents,various weird/and/or unsympathetic adults, heroine survives to tell the tale (and will probably bore counsellors and psychologists for years to come). I'm glad I borrowed this so-called novel and did not buy its measly 207 pages!
on 14 August 2013
I give a lot of books 4 or 5 star reviews, that I do not necessarily the write reviews for. This is not so much because I cannot be bothered, but more that everything I want to say has pretty much been covered in other, well written reviews. I am not one to repeat others, it seems pointless, a waste of mine and your reading time, and if you are anything like me, you won't bother to read it, if it is in the same vein as a review you have already read.

If I Stay, will either touch you, or leave you cold, hence the reason I am taking the time to write a review. This isn't a new release, the book has been out in the mass market for a couple of years now, but I picked this book from my TBR shelf on the way to a hot bath and a glass of wine earlier this evening, it is now 3am and I have just put it down.

I have arm ache from having to hold the book above my eye level so I could continue reading through my tears. This book dips into love, loss, the afterlife and how it can possibly be dealt with. Having read other reviews I knew that it was possibly going to be an emotional read, but after getting almost 70% through I thought I would be Ok, how wrong I was.

I post spoiler free reviews, so I don't want to give away the story, however this book (as previously stated) is not a new release, and there are plenty of reviews that do offer insight into the story, so I do not feel what I am going to say actually gives too much away.

Mia is a pretty well-adjusted kinda girl, she is a B grade average student, doesn't hang with the popular crowd, she's known, but also respected and left alone due to here musical talent. She plays the cello extraordinarily well, and through her music, meets and falls in love with Adam, lead singer and guitarist for local band Shooting Star. Although she struggles to understand his interest in her she eventually embraces their relationship for what it is.

After a devastating accident that leaves her parents dead, and a question mark hanging over her brother Teddy, we see Mia, for want of a better word reliving her life in spirit form, she is on the outside looking in, seeing the reactions of her family and closest friends to the tragic accident that has taken away her closest family.

You see and feel the emotional reactions of her close family and friends to her plight as they visit with her. Giving her advice and trying to pull her through with general chit chat.

From telling her it is Ok to let go -

Gramps - "It's OK, if you want to go. Everyone wants you to stay. I want you to stay more than I've ever wanted anything in my life."......."But that's what I want and I could see why it might not be what you want. So I just wanted to tell you that I understand if you go. It's OK if you have to leave us. It's OK if you want to stop fighting."

To begging her to stay -

Adam - "Please Mia, don't make me write a song".

Kim - "I do have a point to all this, there are like twenty people in that waiting room right now. Some of them are related to you, some of them are not. But we're all your family. You still have a family."

Adam - "If you stay, I'll do whatever you want. I'll quit the band. But if you need me to go away, I'll do that too. And that would suck, but I'd do it. I can lose you like that if I don't lose you today. I'll let you go, if you stay."

If the above doesn't convince you to read If I Stay, too see how Mia's journey concludes then it is not the book for you anyway. I loved Adam, and Kim, Willow and her grandparents, their opinions, thoughts and general reactions. This book makes you think about yourself, if will affect every reader differently, but for me very emotionally.

I am now trying to pull myself together enough to read "Where She Went".....
on 5 November 2009
It starts with a day off of school where a light snow in the Portland area brings everything to a halt. The snow melts by mid-morning and Mia heads off for a day with her family in their car. They argue about what to listen to on the radio, tease her mother about her cooking, and all is near bliss. Until the accident. Now Mia has to decide. She is the one in control though she doesn't want to be. She has to choose life...or death.

This slim volume contains such heartache, such wonder and such tenderness that it should take twice the amount of words it does! Somehow in under 200 pages, Forman has created a character who becomes not only real, but open and vulnerable and achingly available to the reader. Through flashbacks, we get to learn about her love of the cello, the gift for music, her early relationship with her boyfriend, and her amazing parents. Things are beautiful but honest: life with a boyfriend is not perfect and her parents are different from most. This is real life with all of the troubles but all of the joy too. Forman's writing is gripping,honest and at times so gentle that it's a caress. Her writing is what makes this book work. It never tumbles down the slope of melodrama, instead keeping true and unflinching.

Make sure you have a box of Kleenex handy for this one. It's nearly impossible to put down and equally difficult to get out of your head. Readers of Lurlene McDaniel will love this, and find a book with writing to match the emotions.
on 7 September 2014
Mia thought the hardest choice she'd ever have to make was whether to pursue her music career at Juilliard in New York or stay with the love of her life, Adam.

But in an instant, all Mia's choices are gone.

Except one.

A carefree family drive soon turns into a tragedy, and as Mia remembers her life before the accident, she must make the hardest choice she will ever have to.

Should she stay?

This story was amazing. The characters were believable, relatable and realistic. You could feel Mia's pain at losing her family. You could hear Adam's desperate pleas for her to stay.

Be prepared! Although I did not cry myself, (I never seem to in books) I definitely felt the emotion in Mia's voice. The scene with Cramps, particularly, really tugged at my heartstrings. It was a beautiful storyline and Gayle Foreman is a truly talented writer.

Suitable for ages 11-adult.

Heart wrenching, sad and brilliant, If I Stay is sure to have you hooked until the last page.
on 29 September 2014
If I stay is all about a teenage girl called mia, a keen cello player who has auditioned for Juilliard, the famous music college, and is waiting to hear whether she has been accepted or not.

It all starts on a snow day. Mia and her younger brother teddy have a day of school, and along with their parents, they take a drive to visit Henry and Willow and their baby daughter. But they never get there. A tragic event occurs. The family are involved in a car crash, the mum and dad die instantly and teddy dies in the hospital. Mia is in a coma, and is having an out of body experience(her body is in the hospital bed, but her soul is exploring what is around her. She has to decide whether or not she stays. If she lives. If she dies. It's all up to her.

I really enjoyed this book and it is very hard hitting.
on 2 June 2013
'If I Stay' is another one of those teen books battling big issues that I wish had been around when I was actually a teenager. A quote on the cover from the Daily Mail states "read it and weep" and that is exactly what I did.

This novel began as a light, airy glimpse into what seemed to be the perfect family life - cool parents who are into rock music, the adorable hyperactive little brother, and the protagonist Mia, a talented Cellist, well on her way to Juilliard.

And then it hits. A tragic car accident turns Mia's life upside down. In one life-changing moment, Mia's family are ripped away from her and her own life hangs in the balance. Left somehow outside of her comatose body, Mia watches herself being operated on, hooked up to life-saving machinery while her friends and family will her to survive.

Mia has a choice to make. Will she go or will she stay? Going would be easy. She could be with her family, she wouldn't have to face the gaping hole in her life. Staying will be the hardest thing she's ever had to do. Is she brave enough to step up to the challenge?

This novel was heart-wrenching. I held on bravely for nearly half of the book but there came a point when I just simply could not hold it in any longer and the tears came. And they weren't just the pretty silent tear that rolls down your cheek kind of tears. No, these were the wracking sobs, the giant tears that obscure your vision. These are the tears from emotion so strong that I was tempted at one point to put the book down unfinished as I simply couldn't handle it any longer. But, my need to know what decision Mia came to won over and I carried on to the last page.

And I'm so glad I did.

This is another one of those books I'd recommend you go and read. And seriously, if you can afford it buy a copy for any teenage girl in your life because I'm sure she'd appreciate it.