on 19 July 2017
with all the publicity about the recent film and how good it was I bought this book as I think the book is normally better than the film. However, I hope the film was good because the book was rubbish and I will certainly not be going to see the film.
on 27 June 2017
Perhaps it's because I'd just finished reading a thriller before I started reading this, but I found it painfully slow. It took ages to get going and if it wasn't that I was reading it for a book club I wouldn't have continued. The humour was mildly amusing at times but the story just didn't draw me in at all. There was nothing new in it and for me it was mostly one big yawn from start to finish.
on 21 July 2017
An entertaining and sometimes moving novel about life in Britain just after Dunkirk. An interesting approach, the times being presented from the view of those involved in the production of a movie about Dunkirk. I quite enjoyed it but others in my book group enjoyed it far more. I could almost hear Bill Nighy reading his part as I read it!
on 9 September 2017
Great film and great book. the book was well written and I enjoyed reading it even though I'd already watched the film. my mum never got to see the film at the cinema and really enjoyed this as a read.
on 15 March 2016
I bought this after reading Crooked Heart ( which I loved as it was funny and warm) but was a little disappointed with this one. I didn't really warm to the characters and it wasn't as fast paced or funny. Interesting storyline but took to long to get going.
on 24 July 2017
A comfortable and easy read with really interesting and detailed descriptions of people and places.
on 1 October 2017
I was so bored. I have never before in my life spent 11 days on a book. I want to see the film, though. Perhaps it is better
on 31 May 2017
Really enjoyed this book. It takes a bit of getting into but is well worth the effort. Not a typical rom com but has funny laugh out loud moments and some really sad ones. It provides a real sense of the times.
on 1 May 2017
Very enjoyable read, have since seen the film which does justice to the book
on 9 October 2017
A good read and different to the film. If you liked the film read this.