on 3 March 2017
If you like the Tiffany Aching stories then this is for you. She is growing into her craft and growing up a bit more and yes there are still the Nac Mac Feegles on hand to keep her feet on the ground. They may have started off aimed at the younger readers, but I am sixty odd and I have loved them all.
on 7 January 2012
[This is the Hardback, Exclusive Limited, Numbered Collector's Edition].

I adore Pratchett and have read all his adult Discworld novels to date, plus a few of his other works. I love all of them and my favourite is 'Thud'. Like all his fans, probably, I'd hoped that the Alzheimers wouldn't adversely affect his writing whilst knowing that inevitably, in time, it would (or that it would be a miracle if it didn't). He's such a brilliant writer and covers all plot-bases so thoroughly though, that I reckoned he had enough headroom (pun intended) for a while, to still turn out good novels even if they weren't quite as good as his best.

Well, I agree with reviewers who say this one is a little light, even allowing for it being targeted at Young Adults. If you didn't know he has Alzheimers, it's not even remotely obvious; and I would think this wasn't quite as good as the others but that maybe it was just me. But we do know, and it's impossible to not wonder. Fwiw, I believe that at the time he wrote this, any small but detectable lack was only down to the change in method of getting the writing down (i.e. dictating to an assistant), rather than deterioration in actual invention or storytelling. Sadly, I think 'Snuff' is a stage further down that track.

I don't agree with reviewers or commenters who think that Terry's Alzheimers is the elephant in the room and that we should pretend his latest book is as marvelous as his others, especially considering his willingness to publicly face facts (witness his documentary on voluntary euthanasia).

This collector's edition is beautiful btw and if there are any left I recommend you get one. I have 86/2500. I thought it was signed too but my mistake, it isn't. The fact that it will increase in value after his death is completely irrelevant since I will never part with it, out of abject respect for the man and the delight he has given me personally, just one of his fans, over the years.
VINE VOICEon 20 November 2012
Terry Pratchett seldom fails - and certainly has succeeded here.

Tiffany is a young witch (who spends a lot of time just being a help when needed), doing a bit of flying on her broomstick, and putting things right.

Introduce the kelda and the Mac mac Feegle (who bear a strong relation to Russell Abbot "hey Jimmy" characters but are only inches tall) and an ancient evil which Tiffany woke up, and wants to destroy her.

Thrown in a dead baron and his son and fiancée (and her appalling mother) and let the parody, clever words and situations flow.

Pratchett never labours the obvious plot development, quickly getting to the silly twist or line he has in wait for the reader.

Maybe not the best Discworld novel ever, but one of the cleverer ones for sure.
on 18 August 2017
Amongst this riveting story, there are morals and truths which should help you in life. If your life is good and truthful, then you help the world in so many ways. Oh, it's also funny and you'll need tissues occasionally.
on 3 June 2017
Not finished this yet. But I have read most of the books with tiffany aching in them and the other witches. Brilliant books. And I am loving this .
on 2 July 2011
This book appears to be the final one in the Tiffany set of 4. Although it is aimed at younger readers I enjoyed it as much as all the other discworld stories and I am hardly a young reader (61yrs young). Once again Tiff goes in to battle to save The Chalk and her way of life helped or hindered by the Wee Free Men. There is the
usual cast of characters as well as a quick visit to Ankh Morpork and a meeting with the some of the City Watch. I love Terry's books and really hope that he has a few more up his sleeve before time catches up with him.
on 19 July 2017
A great read but preferred the witches before Tifanny
on 18 June 2017
replacing booksso have read before. loved it
on 1 August 2017
As Described
on 9 October 2015
One of my favourite authors, have all his books in paper or hardback and decided to add my favourites to my digital library