on 24 January 2014
I am a long term fan of Pratchett. I found one of his really early novels in a second hand book shop more years ago than I care to remember. He has changed over the years and recent novels tend to be darker than earlier works with less of the dry and not so subtle humour we love. This picks up on a female theme recorded here on earth over many millenia and gives it an other world twist. A good read - and I have done so twice as one always misses something the first time around. Well worth it.
on 4 September 2016
I was dubious with this story for many reasons but have been greatly shown the way. I couldn't put this one down, the characters are fantastic, the story is constant, the social politics are brilliant. I can't wait to read it again.
Top of my list for TP`s stories
VINE VOICEon 29 July 2015
Once again Terry Pratchett delivers a first class novel. Fun, thought provoking and just a damned good read. I found myself, as usual, bursting out laughing and frightening my wife. I would recommend it to anyone. It can be read on its own but you would benefit from knowing the other characters from the past.
on 17 January 2018
One of the best tales of Discworld. Really enjoyed the plot, its twists and characters. Highly recommended tale.
on 13 April 2016
Good plot, plenty of twists and turns - a real page turner.

Also a gives satirical view of sexual discrimination and whether women who do well in a man's world out-man the men.

First class novel. Very pleased!
on 26 May 2015
All of his books are good,"for a given amount of good".There are so many hidden jokes in his books but sometimes you have to have an open mind.A typical one is about the washerwomen "who are negotiable" is "Do they come and then go".His passing is such a loss.
on 3 December 2017
Monstrous regiment is a very funny commentary on welcoming diversity. I loved it.
on 19 July 2017
A really great twist or two
on 9 February 2014
I read most of this book shortly after it was published, but for some reason or another, I disliked it and gave up. As a long time fan, this has puzzled me and as I am working my way through the Kindle editions, I decided to give it another go. To my delight, I thoroughly enjoyed it and was reluctant to put it down.
Whatever caused me to dislike the paper version could have had nothing to do with the book - my free time might have been too fragmented and I lost the plot, perhaps?
on 14 September 2015
In my estimation, not one of Terry's best. Having been a woman in the military this tale of female soldiers rang hollow and was sadly lacking in the signature Pratchett razor wit. It was definitely a departure from his mainstream discworld tales and never really seemed to find its grounding. An interesting read for the historical references and allusions (Lt. Blouse wanting an article of clothing named after himself, etc.), but the story line really dragged. No pun intended.